Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:00 pm 

Hey everyone,

So here’s my deal, Im coming home for the Christmas holidays and I’ll be spending 4 days in Cape Town and 2 weeks in Durban/Pietermaritzburg area. Now I tried this 2years ago when I last came home but SAA lost my luggage for a week and I didn’t get to climb anywhere. So now I’m really amp’d to get out and do some great SA climbing!

In the 3 days that I have to climb in Cape Town, I was hoping to climb 1day each at these crags, Silvermine, Rocklands and Montagu. Not necessarily in that order. My dilemma is this, I have never climbed there so I could sure use a Crag Commander (someone to help point out the crags/routes) and seen as my drivers licence has expired I can’t rent a car, so I’ll need some help on the transportation side as well. Not to mention that it’s always better to climb in groups of 4 or more seen as the local crime has not died down. {ediit: I forgot to add the dates! Dec 18 through 21st in Cape Town}

I’m more than willing to help those who help me. I’ll obviously help cover petrol and what not. I also have access to relatively cheaper gear (no transportation costs) If you are interested in something I’ll make some calls and you could just pay me back once I’m in SA. I can only carry what I can fit in my bag… keep that in mind please!!! :lol: But shoes, trad, sport, harnesses etc feel free to give me your laundry list and I’ll try and find it for you. Obviously I’ll let you know the price before hand just to make sure that it is cheaper and worth your while.

Once I’m in Durban I’ll have my own transportation, but I’ll be looking to climb with a bunch of people. I would very much like to climb at the Wave Cave, Kloof gorge, monteseel and wherever else a crag commander suggests! Maybe at Hilton College (if that’s any good, etc etc) {edit: I'm in Durb's/PMB from Dec 22nd through Jan 5th}

Oh my name is Donovan Craig, I’m a College Ol’ Boy, not sure if that helps my chances or not!!! :) . but I know Dave Drummond is still climbing somewhere and James Hallett and I plan to meet up as well. Im 28years old and my wife will accompany us on all our climbing trips. She climbs about up to 18/19 and I would like to think that I can hang on 24/25’s.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. My email is donovanrcraig@gmail.com if you want to get hold of me.

Thanks and hope to see, climb with and meet you soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 pm 

Hire a guide.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:39 pm 

Even better hire a car! Plenty of time to organise your drivers / get the car in your wifes name?
Anyhow if you're coming to Montagu, give me a shout, be happy to head out with you :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:45 pm 

Heavy: although hiring a guide is a great idea (helps economy and supports the industry) Im not into getting a guide for various reasons. beside I still need a car to get around and I would like to meet people. I preffer the more intimate setting. Climbing is very intimate and personal... to me that is.

Justin: thanks for the invite. renting a car is a good idea, however its tripple the price when you do it on a non SA passport! Not cool in this day and age were oil is $148 a barrel!!!

Its going to be tough getting around anyways... I'm already in debit with this trip that I cant afford, but I cannot, not see my family and I refuse to let high petrol prices rob me of life experiences with family and friends. Any savings that I can make, im going to try!

but thanks for the heads up guys!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:59 am 

Too little time to do your 3 choices. Rocklands is quite a journey from Cape Town. You need a couple of days for this alone. If you only have 3 days, I would do 1 day at Silvermine and 2 days in Montagu, staying over there overnight as it is also a couple of hours drive from Cape Town and can be incredibly hot at that time of year, restricting your climbing to whichever crags have shade and early morning and late afternoon climbing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:33 am 

Alex is correct, you're going to spend too much time traveling around, Montagu will be hot, Rocklands probably even hotter! Rather pick 1 or 2 places to climb at.

On a side note I was informed this weekend that all air travel prices have just gone up by 40% :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:37 am 

so maybe i'll drop Montagu, i did realize that it is a lot of driving but thats how come i posted in the first place, to see if anyone was going in that direction already...? so thats for the confirmation of my insanity :lol: but as for rocklands(!) its gotta be worth going up there anytime of year(?) right.
but if travelling does bog me down, i'll make do with... wait... this is South Africa... the climbing is awesome no matter where i go! I'm going to have a great time and if you're there to accompany me.. well thats just even better!

ps: the travelling is murder! (im so in debit :( )