Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 am 

Hello,

In early February, I'll be moving to South Africa for a little over two years, and I'd love to do some semi-regular climbing while I'm there. As work is likely to consume most of my life, I doubt I'll be able to climb often, but I'm hoping to make it to Waterval Boven (or elsewhere, if I don't end up in Mpumalanga as I suspect) at least once every few months.

For the most part, I mostly enjoy sport climbing (low-to-mid 20s, i.e. 5.11s and low 5.12s in the US) and bouldering, but I'm happy to follow/clean trad as well (I won't be bringing my pathetic trad rack, just a rope and sport rack). I know that I haven't provided much information, but I won't know much until I get my post sometime after I've been in country for awhile.

Let me know if you think you'd be interested in meeting up, and I'll be sure to keep in touch as I get more info.

Cheers,

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 am 

I'm sure there are loads of us who'd be keen to climb with you. Post again when you're here and let us know where you are and take it from there! :afro:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 pm 

Hi Ed,

I'm available for the next couple of months although I only trad lead 5.9 and follow 10s. If interested, I can be SMS text or called at +1 408 623 5564 and emailed at jasonjkuo at yahoo dot com. I'm happy to call you back too - just leave a number.

More on me and my climbing experience at http://flickr.com/photos/jjkuo/collecti ... 826942110/ Lots of belay experience ;o)

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:28 pm 

Hey Ed,

I'm in Cape Town for the next three weeks and can climb with you. I prefer trad. Have a full rack and rope.

You can call me at +27 (0) 768 96 1473
or email me at jasonjkuo at yahoo dot com

More on me at http://climb.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4420

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:17 pm 

So, it turns out that my two-year post is going to be in a rural village just off R37 between Polokwane and Burgersfort (about 75-80km from the former). I've got decent access to public transport (but no car), and I've got a rope, a sport rack, and more than eight years of climbing experience in the States. I would not be able to do more than an extended day trip during the next few months (not sure if that would include Wellington's Dome or not), but afterwards I would be up for some weekend-long or longer trips. Now that I have regular access to the internet, just send me a private message if you're interested in getting together to climb sometime in the near future.

Cheers,

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm 

You are actually in an area where I've spend doing some work in villages as well. For climbing you are also not to far from blyde river canyon with some awsome tradding up there. check out the routes on this site. Boven is a bit further but well worth a visit for a long weekend. At this stage I'm injured myself and time is scarce. But you neve know.

Cheers
W :afro:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm 

Thanks for the info, W. I did not know that Blyde River Canyon had established climbing. In any case, if you heal up and time becomes less scarce, let me know if you'd be up for a day- or weekend-trip. Would love to hear about your experiences working in the local villages, too. In the mean time, I might investigate some of the nearby clifflines for toproping/trad potential. As much fun as I'm having doing pull-ups on a brick overhang, nothing beats the real thing.

Cheers,

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:13 pm 

My injury looks a bit bleak right know. After I twisted my knee doing some regular training I made an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon just in case (waiting list so could always cancel). After a week still painful and walked around with a limp. Had x-rays, mri scan and now friday knee op to most probably remove some cartalige, as the mri shows it has a tear in it. At least no climbing/training for 4/6 weeks after friday. Hope friday fixes the problem

Am happy to exchange experiences regarding work you're doing now. It's been a while for me but have quite some stories to tell. My best guess is you are doing some school thing, peace core? Just give me an email on willemeulen@gmail.com.

Regards,

W :afro: