Quantcast
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:29 pm 

hi, im a student from sheffield uk and im in sa till august. im looking for some people to climb with, im not superstrong but im keen and up for trying hard stuff, been climbing about a year or two. im staying in observatory, my email is mdd05cg@sheffield.ac.uk my mobile is 0764696539. Iv got weekends free and probs most weekdays If not, does anyone kow if i can hire a bouldering mat anywhere? and where can i go bloddering thats is ok for a girl on her own? questions questions.
cheers
lotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:04 pm 

Hi suggest for a girl on their own to maybe stick to the gym, City Rock is in Obs. You can get to their website via the link in the directory section.

I think that they also hire out crash mats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 pm 

my suggestion for a girl on her own is to find some guys with bouldering pads :)
those can be easily found at the local gym - CityRock or the local climbing wall - UCT lower campus.

alternatively, find another girl who boulders (which is harder in some cases - but not this one :) ) and go from there. I'm sending you an e-mail right now...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 am 

Hi there,

I worked in Europe for four years, for a company based in Lancashire. Did a lot of Scottish climbing. By chance one night myself and two South Africans happened to rescue two guys from Penrith on the Black Cuilins. The irony of the matter is that though they were badly hypothermic and wouldn't have seen the night through, the real rescue was them saving our lives. With a lack of experience and a few shots of enthusiasm too much we were a danger to ourselves climbing the stuff we did. Long story cut short, these two guys adopted me to their club (Carlisle Mountaineering Club, see also:
http://www.carlislemc.co.uk/index.php?o ... &Itemid=65) and showed me the ropes - and opened a world of rock and ice climbing to me. We also had a club meet in the peaks district once, it rained so much we ended climbing at the Sheffield wall, in your neck of the woods.

The advice posted here is sensible, no need too be paranoid, but please don't be naive, unfortunately in South Africa one needs too look over your shoulder. It is a pity. My wife complained the other night about the same thing, she used to hike multi-day trips singular in Scotland time and again without a worry in the world, but over here that is certainly ot advisable.

I would gladly like to repay the kindness your fellow countrymen awarded me (which, simply put, was of the highest quality I've ever encountered...). As I was taught in the Scottisch school of thought, I only do trad climbing outdoors, camping out a night or two in the mountains and climbing during the days. Currently I am project engineer on a major bridge in the Eastern Cape, so I'm working nasty hours and most weekends, but you are welcome to join my wife and her friends. Mostly climb in the Stellenbosch mountains (The Jonkershoek reserve is currently closed following the recent fires but friends of ours have a farm on the foot of Stellenbosch Mountain, near Dornier wine farm, with some good grags, beautiful waterfalls and nice overnight caves).

We're planning a trip next weekend (4/5 July), you and other people interested are welcome to contact me.

Regards, and I hope you enjoy your stay in SA!

Marnus Malan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:15 pm 

CityROCK in Obs! You can't go wrong.

They might hire out a bouldering mat aswell. But even some of the staff go out climbing and bouldering all the time - I'm sure you'll be able to link up with one of them...

peas

j

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:00 pm 

Hi Lotty

I'm curently staying in Jo'burg for a few weeks. I've been travelling around Africa for the last 5 months and so am keen to start climbing again. I"m originally form Ireland. I want to head out to Waterval Bowen or somewhere else local early next week if you are interested. My mobile is 071 202 2363
cheers

Johnny

lotty wrote:
hi, im a student from sheffield uk and im in sa till august. im looking for some people to climb with, im not superstrong but im keen and up for trying hard stuff, been climbing about a year or two. im staying in observatory, my email is mdd05cg@sheffield.ac.uk my mobile is 0764696539. Iv got weekends free and probs most weekdays If not, does anyone kow if i can hire a bouldering mat anywhere? and where can i go bloddering thats is ok for a girl on her own? questions questions.
cheers
lotty