It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:56 am 

Recently moved here. Know no one 'cept my husband's family and friends... yay for me. lol. I've been out of climbing for a looong time... pretty much a beginner, but would love to meet up with other climbers. :) I'm thinking of taking a trip to Plumbago Nature reserve on Sat, would love it if there were other climbers around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 pm 

No promises, I've got some errands to run, but I might just pitch up there with a pad & 0% bouldering experience - what time did you have in mind?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pm 

I was thinking early afternoon, around 12. I have a few quick things I need to do in the morning as well, so it won't be shockingly early. (I can't do shockingly early in winter as it is :P). Will be great if you can make it, and don't worry, while I have some bouldering xp, my muscles have turned to mush and the circuits connecting them to my brain are completely fried. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:27 pm 

I'm away this weekend. But be careful there, don't go on your own. There have been muggings in the past. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:36 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on dragging my hubby along for the walk as it is. I'm not inclined to go running around in the bushes by my lonesome. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:17 pm 

I think up on the hill where the bouldering is, is relatively safe. I think the bigger problem would be on the footpath along the river at the bottom - easy access, lots of bushes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:35 pm 

Where's this Plumbago place? Is it only bouldering? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:44 am 

Faerie Glen (what the road signs say :P) Nature Reserve => http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/index.ph ... Bouldering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:33 pm 

:( I might not be able to climb tomorrow. I woke up with a sore knee. It's a strange thing, I haven't been doing any kind of strenuous physical activity of late. I guess I'm a violent sleeper?

Anywho, its perfect when I walk. I have to actually bend it and put pressure on it to feel any pain. I've been deep heating like crazy the whole day, but I don't think it's really changed the situation much. I'm hoping its gone by tomorrow. If not, I still plan to take a walk to the boulders to at least check it out. Walking is at least completely pain free.

Stupid knee :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 pm 

don't worry, boulderers don't use their legs in any case :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 pm 

Lol! I barely make 1.5m ... I HAVE to use my legs. :P damn you tall people with ape arms.. damn you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:08 pm 

phew, am I glad I'm not one of those tall folk! :wink: You made me think of all those remedies for sore stuff, they are all awful don't you think: deep heat burns like hell itself, ice on a day like today must be horrible and then there are those corn bags... :puker:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:17 pm 

Lol, I'm sticking to the hot water bottle and deep heat, no chance in hell I'm putting ice on myself now... brrrr... but yeah.. deep heat has that "lovely" fragrance...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:12 pm 

Okay, so I was there... and got lost. :lol:

We made it up the mountain. Just as you reach the top, there is a bench. Now, the path leading down from the bench, is it there? And is it more of a violent scramble contributing to soil erosion than an actual path? I went maybe two meters down from there and found a chalked up boulder, which I ended up playing on a little. But that boulder doesn't fit in with the instructions on how to get to the main boulder. Are you supposed to carry on along the top of the mountain a bit?

Any clarification would be great. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:01 pm 

If you can see your way to a drive to Harties or Bronkhorstspruit there is some great sport climbing at both of these venues. We are a small group of 5 or 6 climbers and you are most welcome to join us. We will be at Chosspile (Harties) this coming weekend either the 1st or 2nd of August, normally start at around 10 to let things warm up a bit. Let me know if you're keen. rocklooney@gmail.com.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:59 pm 

Thanks. Sent you an e-mail. :)