It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Mugging at Wave Cave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:18 am 

There was a mugging at the Wave Cave on Saturday afternoon. (2009-10-10)

It was 4 men, one with a gun and knives. I don't know all the details.

Please be aware of this if you were planning to climb there in the near future. My suggestion would be to go climb somewere else as the conditions are not that good anyway.

The option of arrainging a guard from the Shongweni Reserve (as done in the past) will be looked into.

Post subject: Re: Mugging at Wave Cave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 am 

This just pisses me off so much. Why the hell can't we just freaking go climbing and not have to worry about this nonsense?? I just hope they don't stop access again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 am 

What country are you living in? Why are you surprised? We can't walk down the streets so why should climbing be any different?

Now cue all the glass-half-full-SA-is-so-great crowd chiming in...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am 

Proze, I'm not trying to start some debate about crime and whatever in SA. I'm just reacting emotionally because I climb there fairly regularly and the situation has been good for a number of years now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 pm 

Hope no one was hurt during the mugging! Never been mugged climbing ( touch wood ) but have been a victom before. It realy sucks that you cant move around freely anymore, withoute having to watch your back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:36 am 

This is really dissappointing as it has been about 8 years since the last cave incident and i thought all this was behind us. The guys who were mugged mentioned that the perps were quite young so I guess its a new crowd - not the old gang (who were arrested and sentenced amazingly). My suggestions are
1) keep climbing at the Cave - the routes are just too good. We have had 3 muggings in 15 years - about 600 climbing days I would guess - so a 0.3% risk - low - as long as its not you...
2) take the "supply" out of "supply and demand" and never take valuables - wallets/cellphones to this venue - I never do.
3) we talk to the reserve management and perhaps create a management plan for the venue that would include a ranger every Sunday from May to August during Cave Season when there are climbers there every weekend.
4) We could explore an alternate walk in from above the Cave - paying for parking on local land owners properties. This could be negotiated with the local Induna so the comunity has a direct financial interest in keeping climbers happy and going to the Cave. The Cave does fall just outside the Reserve boundary but we have always accessed it via the Reserve. We have never really explored who owns the land - I think it is community grazing - which would fall under the local tribal authority.

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 am 

I agree with Roger. A proactive stance makes much more sense. Good luck with the negotiations!