Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Climbing in Joburg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:43 pm 

Hey

I'm a Cape Tonian leaving to work in Joburg for two months this Sunday. I'd like to carry on climbing, but am not sure where to go. I'd appreciate it a lot if you can give me some insight on training spots in Joburg where I can go during the week (preferably near WITS)...and hopefully meet some Jozi climbers too.

Cheers,
Wiebke

Post subject: Re: Climbing in Joburg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 pm 

Oi,
Strubens, Melville koppies, Northcliffe and little falls. WITS I think have a climbing wall. If not, Wonderwall the next best place. I'm also starting a Gauteng west climbing club in the near future. I got the go ahead to start climbing at Bastion H/S but stil short of funding. If you know of anyone interested, Please let me know!

Thanx!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:33 pm 

yup, wits has a bouldering cave in their clubroom, and for sanity's sake make the effort to head out to chosspile, fern or bronkies on the weekends

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm 

Wiebke, why didn't you ask me when I saw you at that party over the weekend?

I highly recommend you head out to Waterval Boven while you're up there. There are always people at Tranquilitas and you will NOT be disappointed - although its a serious drive for just a weekend. I should be in Jozi from end Dec 'til mid Jan, we can arrange to head out together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:01 pm 

You will get used to driving if you plan on climbing. That said driving up here is not nearly as scary as it is in CA. People up here can actually drive :lol: just make sure you keep an eye on the traffic lights at all times and accelerate when it goes green (not 10s later) or when it goes orange

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 am 

I'm gonna be in Jo'burg Jan and Feb where is the best place to meet other climbers and try and get out a bunch? Are the local clubs good places to meet competent locals?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:46 pm 

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. Looking forward to explore the climbing world up north.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 am 

Hi, I have also recently moved back to Jhb from CT and have been here 5 months and am missing climbing terribly and would like to go out and do some. I am quite a beginner and would like to partner with someone. Thanks, Rob.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:04 pm 

Ho Ho Ho :jocolor:

Don't red herring people with comments about little falls & the WITS clubroom :lol: It's just cruel :twisted:

Please note dear visitors that the first thing to do is find other climbers. The gym is a good idea & so are MCSA meets (What a radical thought) :D .

WITS does have a "proper" climbing wall (as opposed to bouldering) but access is strictly controlled - speak to the WUMC.

If you can find Strubens, then there are always people there on a weekend & it is safe because of the MCSA car guard. Bronkies is also a good idea once you have some comrades.

Good luck & happy climbing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:32 pm 

Regardless of your level, don't waste your time at Strubens or Bronkies. Get yourselves to Boven (3 hours drive each way is not that bad for a weekend) and see what proper sport climbing is.