Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm 

Howza, well i put up a polite request for climbing partners and got no reply so now i'm begging!!! I'll be in the Cape from Feb 15th to March 25th and will be bringing a 60mtr rope and full rack so i'm keen keen keen to climb,2nd, hold your rope, as much as possible, just need people to hang out with. I'm a moderate English climber able to lead VS4c trad or F6+ sport comfortably but if you lead harder i will follow. I'm coming all the way from England to get some sun and visit friends and hopefully make some new ones with a goal of relocating to S.A. some day!!! Drop me a line here or email christinebelk@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm 

Hi Christine.
I'm not in Cape Town, But if you widen your scope the eastern cape both PE and East London has great climbing and welcoming climbers.

Garvin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:18 am 

I think I know why you had little response, your heading sounds like a job offer to wash windows or something arduous like that.

Garvin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 am 

Don't forget to pack your anti-stab vest :lol:
http://www.protektorvest.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:42 am 

Hey Christine,

I am fairly new to the climbing scene (3rd month now), and am only really doing sport climbing and bouldering at the moment. My mates and I try hit the CT crags at least once a week, twice if time allows, and you are very welcome to join us. I am also an active member at the climbing gym in CT, and spend my time there bouldering, but I would be more than happy to spend time on the top rope / lead walls if you are interested. In terms of ability, I am currently able to flash 20's, and have just flashed a 21, I have mini-projected some 22's and highest 24 with redpoint success.

If you are interested just let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 am 

will drop you a mail.....

ciao
mok

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:00 am 

Hi MarkM
I'm not sure how that's funny? How it applies to someone hoping to go climbing, with locals who should be aware of the area's that should be avoided, is even harder to understand.
If the possibility of being stabbed scares you so, you could move somewhere safe like the Arctic Circle. When last have you met a tourist that's been stabbed? Probably never, cause you scared them away before they got here. Smart move, it not as if we need tourists anyway. we're doing just fine, thanks.

Garvin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 am 

Hi garvinj

:sunny: lighten up :sunny:

Hugs & Kisses
MarkM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:45 am 

Mark - totally uncalled for and in very poor taste. Not cool. Christine I will pm you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am 

You lighten up my day, MarkM. That was such a uplifting and inspiring post , how could I be anything else. By the way ow much did you pay for your vest?

Garvin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 am 

Hey Christine

MarkM is just poking fun at what we percieve as a ridiculas notion by us South Africans as the anti stab vest that is being marketed overseas for the soccer WC. Crime is, however, a problem but common sense should keep you clear of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 am 

seeing Mark's little joke degenerate in a stooooopid public argument is probably more scary than crime itself :roll:
i just hope you guys find time to delete your posts before christine sees what dimwits we can be

ps: luv you all; peace on earth and go stormers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 am 

Mok you have a point, but I figured that since she had already been scared we may as well show her how fears a bunch we really are. Or maybe I'm just board with the lack of interesting topics on the forum right now.

See now we can demo how easy it is for us to patch things up and carry on.

All sorted then on to the next topic. :D :arrow:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:01 am 

mokganjetsi wrote:
go stormers!

You mean Sharks. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 am 

Hi CJ

A group of us head out to interesting and different crags once a month. Drop me a mail at personaltax@xsinet.co.za if you folks would like to join us.

We also have access to an awesome new bouldering area if you are inclined towards putting up first ascents.

Kind regards
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:21 am 

Come to durban! Lots of friendly climbers who know how to avoid stabbing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 pm 

Christine us Cape climbers aren't that bad, we just have slowwww internet. I recommend you head down to CityRock gym to meet people.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:30 pm 

Hi Mark

I have to say that was so funny. Can't believe people can't see the humour in it. Whether crime is a serious issue in South Africa or not I do think it is also up to us as proud South Africans to educate those around us of what a ridicules image they have of our country and if this means we have to laugh at the funny stuff they come up with, then so be it.
I think you have a better chance being stabbed at a Man Utd – Liverpool match by those hooligan spectator, (who “incidentally” will be wearing the vest....) if I recall an incident at a UEFA Champions league game not long ago.
I’ve been to many a local PSL games and have never been stabbed.

Thumbs up for making my day, Mark. :thumright
Rudy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:09 pm 

<with tongue planted firmly in cheek>

What I find funny is that they are promoting a stab-proof vest, I mean that's unlikely to happen.
Chances are you'll be shot.

<end of poor attempt at yet another joke>

Anyways sorry for Hi-jacking your thread & good luck finding a climbing buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 am 

quick sa-culture lesson to Christine:

if you hear "go sharks" or "go stormers", its because the bulls said they should...

hehehehehehehehe
:thumright

bring it
:shock:
:eye:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:54 am 

Hi christine,
I am an Austrian climber comint to the Cape March 11th to 26th.
knowing the area quite well. if you are interested - especially - also to the Paarl Granite (where I opened some routes) please let me know.
kind regards Josef
climb555@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 pm 

Climb555
I think I climbed some of your routes with the substantial run outs. I was quite impressed by you under bolting. However, please respect the local ethics of any place you visit concerning bolting. Andy Davies who has made a post on this forum is the best person to contact if you wish to bolt more routes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 pm 

Snort. I am climbing in Paarl tomorrow. which are the routes you talking about so that I can stear clear of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 pm 

SNORT wrote:
Climb555
I think I climbed some of your routes with the substantial run outs. I was quite impressed by you under bolting. However, please respect the local ethics of any place you visit concerning bolting. Andy Davies who has made a post on this forum is the best person to contact if you wish to bolt more routes.

Come on Snort, Paarl has been, and is recognised as being an area where bolting run-out routes is very much acceptable practise.
Anyone saying otherwise or complaining about this can shove it as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm 

Stu you are so missing the point. Those Austrian routes have had bolts added to them!!!! Which I think is BS. Did you add those bolts?

Daydreams don't worry, those routes have been brought down to our local level of mediocrity and they are not run out at all any more.

what I mean about the local standard or ethic is the type of bolts, whether glue or expansion etc.... Not the spacing of them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 pm 

SNORT wrote:
Stu you are so missing the point. Those Austrian routes have had bolts added to them!!!! Which I think is BS. Did you add those bolts?

Daydreams don't worry, those routes have been brought down to our local level of mediocrity and they are not run out at all any more.

what I mean about the local standard or ethic is the type of bolts, whether glue or expansion etc.... Not the spacing of them

Oops, apologies, but your post was a little vague on what you were saying.
Are you refering to Austrian Culinarium?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:35 pm 

I dunno what they are called. there is a 23/24 as you come down the gully from the car park where the tourist chains start up. It is the first tricky route on the right. It had big ring bolts on it and now has ordinary bolts in between the ring bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:39 am 

Aah, the infamous Ring Route - yeah some newbie (guilty as charged) retro-bolted that back in 2004 during the period when alot of routes had their rusted 8mm's replaced. But it was restored to it's former glory around 2005, so you'll be glad to no there's no sign of the offending bolts anywhere.

Scott has recently opened what I consider to be one of the best routes at Paarl. A single pitch 50m line that takes the face just left of Jovian Thunderbolts that features sandstone more than granite grips. It's a run-out but amazing line - The Outlaw Josey Wales '25R' - check it out sometime at let us know what you think. A toprope first is advised ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 am 

Go Scott! That is one heck of a line, the black streak leading up to near second chains of Jovian? Super glad you guys have equipped that in stiff style, the wall there is plenty steep enough for long falls to be safe. Although the rock is most certainly Granite, the shape of the holds looked to be more like mini juglets (ie more like sandstone holds) and flakes rather than the usual granite knobs and knife edges, I think the rock is more eroded there due to it being a watercourse.

Well done okes, again a stunning line!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm 

XMod wrote:
Go Scott! That is one heck of a line, the black streak leading up to near second chains of Jovian? Super glad you guys have equipped that in stiff style, the wall there is plenty steep enough for long falls to be safe. Although the rock is most certainly Granite, the shape of the holds looked to be more like mini juglets (ie more like sandstone holds) and flakes rather than the usual granite knobs and knife edges, I think the rock is more eroded there due to it being a watercourse.

Well done okes, again a stunning line!

It really is a super line, yeah the holds are most unlike other routes at Paarl, as you say juglets and rounded off flakes (resembling sandstone :)) offering some superb (style) climbing.
Not entirely sure of the black streak but it takes the featured wall just left of Lichen or Not (the very wide trad crack).
While most of the route offers decent free falls there is one bolt near the bottom that you should watch out for... but other than that it's all in the head. I've been on it and I'm kinda pissed that I missed that line, and I'm sure we've all looked up at it at one point or another wondering if there was a way up :)