It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: New Girl in Cape Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 am 

Hey

I'm about to move to Cape Town on May 15th for a job and looking for folks to climb with or just general getting out to the mountains! Im an experienced climber, bouldering, trad and sport. I know its coming up to the wet winter over there but seen as I'm from Scotland I think ill be alright! Also looking for somewhere to live if anyone has any advice or know of places that would be cool to get a heads up!

Cheers!
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 am 

Hey Kate,
Welcome to CT. What kind of grades do you climb?
For places to live check out Gumtree: http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/
Are you planning to get a car? Helps for climbing...
Feel free to get in touch when you're here: zoe.duby@gmail.com
Travel safe...

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm 

Hey Zoe

Cheers for getting back to me! I climb around 6a/6b - 6c if im training hard (which is non existent in my life at the mo!) and trad climb around VS on a lead and E3 on a second. what kinda grades u climbing?

I was thinking about a car or a bike - im not sure which yet as i have no idea how much money i will have when i come over - u suggest a car huh?

Im arriving on the 14th - Cant wait!! Still looking for a place to live actually - nightmare not being there!

Kate

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:57 am 

Hi Kate,
I have a friend with a spare furnished room to rent in Observatory - which is is a cool studenty area with good access to public transport etc. You can email her on: efua.prah@gmail.com. There's also a climbing gym in Obs - CityRock, which is a good place to meet climbers.

I also cycle everywhere, which is pretty rare here, as people will tell you on a daily basis how dangerous it is. But you can't cycle everywhere, especially to the crags, so I would recommend hiring a car while you're here - or getting to know people with cars quickly!

I climb about the same grades as you, though only sport and bouldering, so far...

Anyway - good luck with it all and give me a shout when you get here. My number's 0769145210.

Zoe

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:41 am 

Cheers Zoe - I've got in touch with here.

Also, somehow managed to bag myself a car that my employers are paying for! Hopefully some climbing on the cards....

Ill give you a shout next week...cheers for being helpful!

Kate

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:41 pm 

Hi Kate!

I am coming from Texas and will traveling in S. Africa this summer from June 6th to about July 19th (for the WC). My two passions are soccer and rock climbing. I'd love to go to Cederberg and other places near CT if you'd be available. Right now, I haven't been climbing as often as I like but I am about 5.9-5.10a-b level depending on the type of climbing. I do some lead climbing but nothing above 5.10. (Hoping to improve of course!) Let me know if your interested! Would love to meet some climbers in my travels.

Best,
Jess

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 pm 

Hi
Should anyone get out to the Robertson area. I climb most weekends should anyone want to join in on the fun or contact me for the weather out this side of the world. Lucky it does not rain that much out here. :wink:

Contact me on 071 499 1232

Regards
Bernard

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:14 pm 

Hey Jess

Would love to meet up and do some climbing! Give me a shout when you get here...

Send me an email on k.o.pettit@googlemail.com!

Kate

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:15 pm 

Thanks Bernard!

Will give u a shout if im coming your way - should be getting out a fair bit at th weekeneds!

Kate