Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:42 pm 

I'm a kitesurfer that is having obvious problems in that department having just recently moved to Johannesburg. I started climbing a couple of months before I moved up here but I'm still a relative novice. I'm desperate to get out and learn the "ropes" and hoping to meet some good people along the way. I have my own basic equipment and would like to find people i can climb with. If you're looking for an ambitious partner let me know.
brynjupp@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:44 am 

Hi

Try contact the MCSA (www.mcsa.org.za) or go to any one of the climbing walls in the area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 am 

Howz it Nic

Thanks for the feedback. I am actually already a provisional member with the MCSA but finding it hard to get the ball rolling. I haven't had much info from that side yet and finding it hard to find out whats happening with meets and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:59 am 

Hi

Hopefully someone from the Jo'burg crowd will contact you soon, otherwise send a pm to DeanVDM (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=338)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 am 

Hey Bryn

If you are on the mailing list, you'll get email about everything going on on a weekly basis. If you are not on the mailing list you can send me pm with your email address, then I'll request that you be put on the list.

I live in Pretoria, but are never the less willing to help show you the ropes and places to use them. I can even show you places where you can choose not to use 'em, but that's another story :pale:

(Nic, I think Dean is from the Magaliesberg section, not that it matters much)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:26 am 

Get yourself to the Boven Roc Rally this weekend - you're sure to meet loads of people to climb with!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am 

Flex gives good advice..you are sure to make friends and partners at the Roc Rally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:19 am 

Nice one thanks shorti. As far as I know i should be on the mailing list but ill definitely get hold of Dean and ill send ya a pm in a sec. I'm always keen to get out and would def dig to go climbing with you any time. Like i said i'm still pretty new to the sport but i am a certified rigger so got some of the basics down. Let me know any time man.
I'm gonna be going down to the rock rally on friday but still have no idea whats up. Can i just pitch up and check it out even if im not climbing in the comp?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:43 am 

The emphasis is on "rally", the more the merrier.
You really wont regret it, you'll meet awesome people and at some or other point you will probably laugh your arse off.
The guys go to so much effort to include everyone, so dont disappoint them.
It is South Africas premier roc rally, its down the road from you and its this weekend! if your serious about getting out you'll be there!! :afro:

No one in Joburg and surrounds should have an excuse for not being there, unless your working, attending a funeral or wedding. not even your moms birthday counts .........take her with!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am 

Bryn wrote:
Can i just pitch up and check it out even if im not climbing in the comp?

Yes, for sure. I'm going and climbing but not competing, just to hang out with loads of f(r)iends and visit some of Boven's forgotten crags. It's always a relaxed vibe, chilling by the pool when it's too hot to climb (and all the competitors are running like rabbits) and if you don't watch out, you could just find some people to climb with.

It's camping, so bring beer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:01 pm 

Let me know by SMS on 082 922-2789 if you want to join for a Grootkloof easy climb adventurous kloofing/abseiling trip :)
Regards
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 am 

Hey,

I've been climbing in Cape Town over the last couple years and I've now also just moved to jozi. If anyone is up for a mission to Magalies, Chosspile or Boven on a weekend give me a shout, my number is 082 329 8137. Or email me philip.m.rogers@gmail.com

Happy climbing

Cheers

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:00 pm 

Hi Bryn

I'm also new to climbing and very keen to crack the Jozi scene so I'll drop you a mail with my contact details.

There's an orientation meet at Strubens this Sunday which I'm hoping will be a good place to pick up some tips and hook up with likemindeds - I'll send you the details of that too.

I went to a couple of Wednesday MCSA club nights and have met people there to climb with so maybe give that a try.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 pm 

hey guys, i am always happy to broaden my group of climbing buddies, send me a message if u wanna come along to a choss pile climb this saturday or sunday possibly. i have rope and quick draws, and all u need is to be a spectacular lead climb belayer!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 am 

Hey,

Apologies if this post is not directly related but....

I am arriving in Johannesburg from the UK at the start of December can anyone tell me if there is anywhere I could stay and climb for about 18 days...

I just need basic accommodation or camping...

would also be great to meet up with people as I will be on my own.

thanks,

jp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:40 am 

Boven dude, go to Boven

http://www.climb.co.za/wiki/index.php/Waterval_Boven