Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Cameroon, mid-Dec 2010?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:18 am 

Any chance that any climbers are vacationing in Cameroon? I've got a few days to kill, some top-rope equipment collecting dust (unused in the 2 month trip up here), and would like to be able to say I climbed somewhere other than SA in my 10 months in Africa. I've Googled a fair bit, but it doesn't seem like there's much climbing at all here. The only references I can find are the Rhumsiki Tower, way in the North and waaay beyond my abilities, and one site that suggests another crag, also way in the North, might have the /potential/ for climbing, but that's it. Must I give up and just wait until I get back to Cape Town? 8(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:59 am 

Sorry can't help, but prey tell. What the hell are you doing in Cameroon?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 pm 

Mainly sweating. About 30° and 85% humidity in Douala. ;) I was doing a trans-Africa tour (all the way up to Tunisia, then returning to Cape Town via West Africa) but recently aborted due to costs (the DRC beat the snot out of the bakkie which constantly broke down) and then the theft of all my valuables (including 13 000 photos taken over the last 6 months) in Libreville. Looking forward to finally touching rock again, but I haven't had any exercise (except lifting 4x4 tires on and off the spare holders) for 2 months, so it could be an even sadder sight than usual. ;D On the other hand, a month of nothing but fufu and manioc leaves means I've lost even more weight, so less to haul up the cliff...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 am 

"I've got a few days to kill"...I understand Liberia is a killer destination.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 am 

Wow man, cool trip. Sucks about the theft.

If you're looking for info about remote African climbing, check Hot Rock's archives and http://www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com/

Bloody agents

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 am 

Marshall1 wrote:
"I've got a few days to kill"...I understand Liberia is a killer destination
Heheh. Yup, my friend's being trying to get me to go to Cote d'Ivoire, too:
My so-called friend wrote:
Dude, you need to head to the Ivory Coast. They're preparing for a civil war and that'd be a great capper for your trip, don't you think? Who doesn't want to be able to say they got shot by a 9 year old with an AK-47 who killed his own parents while high on drugs a junta gave him? :)

pierre.joubert wrote:
Wow man, cool trip. Sucks about the theft.

If you're looking for info about remote African climbing, check Hot Rock's archives and http://www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com/

Bloody agents
Yeah, it was a very cool trip, shame it cost so much (and the theft) or I'd have kept going. And yup, that sucked about as much a medium-size black hole. *sniff*
Thanks. I'd come across Alard's site briefly waaay back in June when I first arrived in Cape Town, but I should've looked at both of those sites in detail before this trip. As it is, I'm still going to try to get to Spitzkoppe, likley in late January. I've never done multi-pitch, though. ;) But... agents? Who/what are those? We had trouble with both the DGM and the ANR in the DR Congo, but I doubt that's what you're referring to. ;)