Smoking and climbing

Houdini

Smoking and climbing

Postby Houdini » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Just wondering how many of you smoke? and that means anything (tobacco/mountain-cabbage :wink: /hubbly)

And how would you say does it affect one's climbing?

NickT

Re: Smoking and climbing

Postby NickT » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:31 pm

I smoke. I started a long time before I started climbing. I find that it certainly affects my endurance and my recovery after climbing sessions. Maybe that's one of the reasons I prefer to boulder.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Yeah... I guess it's a bit wishful to think it doesn't have any effect. I am a social smoker and I know that a lot of climbers smoke... I mean, just look at the bloody buds at crags (c'mon smokers...)
But I don't feel like it has any effect on my stamina. I like the odd jog once or twice a week and the times I'm running now are better than the lap times I ran before smoking (2years ago)

PS: Nick, a boulderer smoking tobacco is the good case scenario ;)

NickT

Postby NickT » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Funny you mention that Houdini. Almost none of the serious CT boulderers smoke either tobacco or ganja. They are all mostly a super healthy bunch. Seems like its not the case with the international crowd. Every time I go to rocklands in season there are countless people asking where to find the stuff. Must be a bouldering thing..I did read an interesting 'interview' the other day where four pros were interviewed about smoking pot. Here it is for your interest... http://www.climbing.com/blog/pro-climber-marijuana-survey/

robertbreyer

Postby robertbreyer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:49 pm

How Does Smoking Affect Sport Performance?
Last Updated: Aug 16, 2013 | By Jolie Hobbs
http://www.livestrong.com/article/36976 ... rformance/

Smoking affects athletic performance in several ways.

Cigarettes have been shown to severely increase your risk of serious health problems in regular smokers and those who have been exposed to large amounts of second-hand smoke. Some of these health risks include cancer, emphysema and bronchitis. For this reason, it's not surprising that smoking can also have negative effects on athletic performance.

Lack of Blood Oxygen
When you exercise, your heart rate increases in order to meet the blood oxygen demands of your muscles. Generally, the faster your heart rate, the more oxygen your muscles need. Cigarettes contain carbon monoxide, which binds to the hemoglobin in your blood more effectively than even oxygen, which means that your muscles are unable to get the oxygen that they require during exercise. This makes your heart work even harder.

Narrowed Blood Vessels
In addition to reducing your body's oxygen intake, smoking also narrows your blood vessels. This occurrence makes pumping blood throughout your body a slower and more difficult process while playing sports. It also puts extra strain on your heart every time it pumps, because it has to work harder in order to supply your body with the blood oxygen it needs to function.

Increased Resting Heart Rate

Your resting heart rate is also increased from smoking. Your resting heart rate is how many beats per minute your heart produces when not being active. This number is greatly increased in smokers due to the extra work your heart must endure in order to meet all physiological demands of your body. This also means that when exercising, your heart rate could possibly rise to dangerous levels in order to meet the physical demands you're requesting of it.

Jacobus

Postby Jacobus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:33 am

A Handy tip Robert - So the smart thing to do is smoke a hell of a lot while training – but then stop just before your event/race/redpoint (Don't forget this key step). Kind of like running with those stupid breathing restriction mask things on to get your body used to working in a low oxygen environment.

I've also been told that smoking a packet while finishing a bottle of scotch is a reliable way of simulating a high mountain environment. Based on my simulation training to date is suspect I would be killer at altitude.

Ringalatus

Postby Ringalatus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 pm

For your interest, my aunt who is not a climber but was very athletic in her youth used to be a 60-a-day smoker. She's now cut that down to 10 a day. She has a tot of brandy every night and every Friday evening her recently acquired boyfriend picks her up in his car and they go pub crawling. She walks down the hill from her home once a week to do shopping at the supermarket. She turns 103 in March and the boyfriend is 89.

Guardian

Postby Guardian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:26 pm

For your interest: "About half of all regular cigarette smokers will eventually be killed by their habit." 50% chance of death? I'd like a bit more safety than that in my climbing gear...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9194026
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4549470/
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

XMod

Postby XMod » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Blunts be bitchin'! :mrgreen: :drunken: :alien: :cyclops:

Kalio

Postby Kalio » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 pm

It seems to me that it is difficult to combine. I do not know about you, but sometimes I do not have enough lungs, when the air is discharged.

rocklooney

Postby rocklooney » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:52 pm

I stopped smoking a year ago after 40 years of polluting my lungs. In my twenties and thirties I played squash and did triathlon. I got away with it without any trouble. My late forties were a different story. I became short of breath, and developed a nasty cough and some pain in my lungs. After a year of vaping (inhaling vapour produced by atomisation of oil in an e-cigarette) I feel like I have never smoked and am able to live normally and free from the worry that smoking-related health problems cause. As we get older, the effects of years of smoking kick in and quality of life deteriorates rapidly. When we're younger we throw caution to the wind and smoke up a storm, thinking we'll get away with it. Sadly, it's a fly now-pay later type of scenario. If I consider how I feel now, a year after my last cigarette, compared to my health prior to that, it's a no-brainer. Smoking is VERY dangerous and it will f*&k you up down the line. By the same token, it's never too late to stop. Smoke all you want, but know that you are on borrowed time for sure. Terrible habit.

Return to “Off Route”