Advice Needed for a new pair of shoes/boots

nicolaasdekker

Advice Needed for a new pair of shoes/boots

Post by nicolaasdekker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi,

My decade old Mid weight HiTec boots finally gave up the ghost after a three day hike on the great wall of china.
I was planning to 'upgrade' to a much lighter pair as my recent experience with lugging boots along a multi pitch climb left much to be desired as the height was pulling enough at my bowls without the help of my heavy leather boots hanging off my harness.

I was considering a pair of approach shoes such as the La Sportiva TX4 https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ortiva-tx4 to replace my hiking boots and hopefully not need to change into climbing shoes when setting up sub 5.8 climbs for the kids.

However, I am moving to Tajikistan and hope to do lots of mountain trekking etc but I dare say the terrain will be quite rugged with snow in the winter and I am not sure if replacing my boots with an approach shoe is the right decision right now.

Any opinions on this matter would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
‎"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure, life is either a daring adventure or nothing" - Helen Keller

BAbycoat

Re: Advice Needed for a new pair of shoes/boots

Post by BAbycoat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 am

Approach shoes ROCK. I've been through innumerable pairs and re-soles of my Tennie Guide. And my wife adores her Boulder X's. (I don't have personal experience of the TX4's ... but the guys at OutDoorGearLab clearly do - though they tend to focus on Yosemite-style big walls)

However, approach shoes suck in snow. They're too flexible to kick steps, they don't readily accept crampons, and the absence of ankle covering means they funnel snow into your heel when you're post-holing.

Shoes are about compromise, and there's not much overlap between a sturdy snow boot and a light multi-pitch boot.

Either consider the a jack-of-all-trades such as the Boulder-X Mid GTX
http://climbingzine.com/gear-review-la- ... oach-shoe/

... or double up with approach shoes now, and then mountaineering boots (such as Sportiva Nepals) when winter arrives.

PS - from experience, 5.10s tend to be cut to wider feet, and Sportivas cut to narrower feet.

nicolaasdekker

Post by nicolaasdekker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am

Many thanks for your input!

I went and tried the TX2 and TX4 this morning at the City Rock gear shop and man oh man how nice are they!

Not sure I can validate buying them AND a pair of boots like the K-way Kilimanjaro.
‎"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure, life is either a daring adventure or nothing" - Helen Keller

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:27 pm

A few years ago we vacationed through Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. The hills looked quite shaley and broken (especially in the South-West, near Tajikistan). I imagine they'd be punishing on shoes.

Doesn't look like the TX-2's will stand up to those hills. Go for the TX-4's, Boulder-x's or Tennie Guides.

nicolaasdekker

Post by nicolaasdekker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:43 am

So... Ran into MMO shop on the way to the airport grabbed a pair of TX4s put them on just before boarding and thought they were a bit tight but put it down to the fact that I was wearing my thick wool socks. Stupidly didnt click in my head that they were the wrong size until I had done some walking in them.

So I have a new pair on their way and a very very bruised budget as MMO understandably are not interested in taking them back after I walked in them.

So I have a near mint condition pair of Tx4s for sale if anyone is interested in grabbing a pair for cheaper than you can get them at the shops for.
size 10.5

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:11 am

sorry about the dud purchase.

re the thread: buy proper trekking boots for trekking and approach shoes for approaches. carrying a backpack for long distances in heavy terrain will see you approach shoes wear out pretty quickly. buying the right shoes for the right job - will save you money in the long run :thumright