Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 am 

Ola climbers

I received word of an incident at Peer's Cave recently where six climbers were tied up and their belongings taken. In order for the folks at TMSAG to compile some decent crime statistics they need to pinpoint the date of the incident, at the very least.

If anyone knows one of the victims, or if you are reading this and are one of the victims, please do your bit for mountain safety and send the info through to Andre from TMSAG (e-mail address obtainable here https://groups.google.com/group/TableMountainWatch?hl=en&pli=1 )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:54 am 

Incredible!! There was a mugging at Peers Cave in December where knives were pulled out and climbers gear was stolen Peers Cave mugging December 2011

Bear in mind that these guys took on a group of six people - I don't know the details but that seems very brazen!
Can anyone provide more details of the incident?

"We dont have any direct confirmation - as the authorities continue to refuse us any form of information - but there is enough info here from various people to send out this warning in the interests of safety. "
Source: Table Mountain Watch: Mugging at Peers Cave again - 6 people tied up

The lack of information from the authorities being provided is wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:55 am 

Shocking...
Well I go climbing at topside twice a week and I've NEVER seen a ranger. Not sure if they are supposed to be patrolling Silvermine area as well but never seen one.
The incidents at Peer's Cave is worrying. It's so close to Noordhoek and Fishhoek, surely it would be easy to have police response?

If people are being mugged and attacked with weapons it's a police responsibility, not Cape Nature?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 am 

ShaolinWood wrote:
If people are being mugged and attacked with weapons it's a police responsibility, not Cape Nature?

Yes, however SANParks who manage the area (not Cape Nature) are not informing/reporting these incidents to the public - probably because they do not want a negative view of Table Mountain (see interview with Merle Collins - SANParks Communications Manager below).
I do believe that SANParks have a responsibility to make the area safe and at the very least warn users of a possible danger at said location.

See the following link to read an email sent to Marc Truss of the Table Mountain Safety Forum requesting a meeting with the MEC Safety as soon as possible :arrow: TMNP - Refusal to inform people

Don't forget these are the people (SANParks) who are putting considerable effort and resources into ensuring that you have a permit to take pictures whilst in their park & potentially putting an end to bouldering at Redhill / Blackhill / Coppermine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 am 

Is there any follow up on this one. It has significant repercussions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 am 

Can anyone verify if this incident took place?
Thanks,
Justin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 am 

It appears the only thing rangers like to do is lock people up in the mountain for hours and then give u a massive fine! I don't think they are even really on the mountain... :evil: :cry:
Anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 pm 

The TMNP crime stop contact e-mail and phone number is a farce! I have reported the existence of squatters at Kalk Bay crags on several occasions over a 6 month period, and have sent in photos of the squatters, the path up there, the damage caused by them have and included GPS co-ordinates of their camp (Shoot! Do I have to physically drag the authorities up there??). The squatters are still there a year later! A phone call to the ranger revealed that my complaints had never been received by his office (?!WTF?). Whilst these squatters are not aggressive muggers they are building daily fires in a cave and have destroyed more than one bolted route in the process. Their faeces decorate the surrounding area and they only picked up their litter after I spelt it out to them that it was not acceptable to throw stuff into the bush. They do not 'get' the concept of a park but see only free open land (they are not from SA).

Past high time for SANParks to pull their head out their arse (or wherever they have chosen to bury it) and smell the shit piling up on their precious paths!! 93 rangers and a few dogs are clearly not sufficient forces to get this problem under control. Maybe they should devote more time ridding the park of real transgressors (squatters and muggers) instead of spending their time chasing after nature-loving boulderers?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:33 pm 

I totally agree with you Greg. They put so much effort into keeping climbers out of places like Red Hill, instead of dealing with such situations. It makes no sense! How about getting your story to the press?
:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:03 am 

Yes agree. The real problem is vagrants LIVING in the park. It has a much greater impact than the occasional crashpad.