Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Business Trip to Durban
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:05 pm 

Hey all,

I'll be in Durban on business from the 1-15th of December. It's likely I'd only have one or two days to get out, but if there is quality climbing in the area, I'd like to try it out.

I'm staying near the mall with the giant indoor climbing wall, and I will have a rental car. Also, I'm not sure how access to gear is, but if it makes sense, I'm willing to bring gear for my fellow climbers in ZA as needed. My wife works at Petzl here in the USA and I have access to almost anything you could want.

Any advice or suggestions on where to climb, what to do?

Cheers,

Price

Edit to mention: I am planning on bringing shoes and harness and chalk. If someone is looking to buy a rope and draws, I could bring those, but don't want to carry them back to the US when I leave. Not sure how much that will affect my options.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 am 

Hi,

I am sure there will be people to take you climbing, specially from the MCSA KZN Section. There are many areas around Durban that you can go climbing at. Depends on your preference. Sport or trad. Feel free to mail me at trevorjohnson83@gmail.com or give me a call when you in the country. I will mail you my number when you get hold of me. I will have a few days available and my time is flexible.

Look forward to hearing from you

Trev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:13 pm 

Trevor beat me to that answer :thumleft:

Trevor is about the best person to talk about climbing around Durban. But there is definitely good climbing in the area, Monteseel has some really good trad climbing (see http://kzn.mcsa.org.za/climbing/route-g ... ar-eastern). There is sport climbing around (but I personally don't see much point in sport climbing - so I don't know).

If you are a fan of mountains in general, when you are in SA you must head to the Drakensberg mountains, not so much for climbing (as the rock is ugly and crumbly). But it is really worth a visit. Tons of awesome worthwhile day hikes you can do, and the closest reserves are within a 2 hour drive of Durban.