Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm 

Hey guys
Just wanna know if anything adverse can happen to gear (ie: rope and draws) if checked in to general luggage (in suitcase nicely packed). Or should it preferable be part of carry on luggage? Obviously I think the draws would be an issue to carry on esp in the states.
But yeah will my rope be ok back there??!! :?
Ta
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:46 pm 

Personally, I've flown with draws in my carry on luggage between South Africa and the States. I don't think you will have anything to worry about when it comes to carrying climbing gear in luggage. I'd recommend just making sure you have the right weight requirements but other than that there shouldn't be anything to worry about (excluding theft in the JHB international airport).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 am 

They'll be fine. If you can roll a haulbag down a cliff and everything inside still be fine, I reckon you can trust even ACSA to not (being able to) break it.

I've had a TSA official stateside make me pack a rope into checked luggage (from hand luggage). Apparently they're worried you could uncoil your rope unnoticed in the back and then tie up the crew with 70m of Blue Water rope. I shit you not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 am 

Ya pierre is right draws are fine to carry as hand but rope no. Personally its easier to just buy a rope there they so cheap! can pic up a nice sterling 10.1 for like 150 dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 am 

In terms of safety of gear, it should be completely fine if checked. I have checked rope, draws and rack from many different destinations and everything has always been fine. The only thing I carry on is my favorite pair of shoes. I have a hard to find size of shoe so worry about losing them. :)

Carrying on stuff could be trickier if you are going to the States. I think I have always checked everything as TSA can be a bit stringent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 am 

Thanks sooo much for the advice everyone! Im just gonna check it all in :-p. Actually Its comming back from the states caus I plan on gettin new rope there :D hehehe 8).
Peace
K

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:23 am 

wasatchgirl wrote:
The only thing I carry on is my favorite pair of shoes. I have a hard to find size of shoe so worry about losing them. :)

Good advice! Friends of mine's luggage went awol on the way to Font. Luckily they had rock shoes in hand luggage too, so didn't miss out on any climbing until it turned up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:36 pm 

I climbed Sands of Time at Paarl last weekend. Awesome route, and good mental training for a wuss climber such as myself. On a sideline - has anyone here ever fallen on granite slab climbing?

My question: Can pitches 2 and 3 be linked? Because that hanging stance is horrible and to me kind of spoiled the route. With a 60m rope one can easily link these pitches, the only issue that remains is rope drag (which I imagine, thanks to the runouts, would be tolerable).

Then a note on the bolts: Many of the hangers are loose (can be tightened BY HAND), and some of the hangers look green and rusty. And what's up with the fixed biners on the hanging belay's bolts?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:15 pm 

Hi James

not sure how your question is related to travelling with rope and draws.... But yes, you can deffo climb pitch 2 & 3 as one LONG pitch.
Rope drag is negligible, communication becomes more of a factor. Just shout loud. Saves loads of time doing it as one long pitch and is really exciting.
cheers