Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm 

In case you missed the Reel Rock Tour 7 earlier this year (or want to see it again), then here is your chance – The film is showing next Wednesday at The Galileo Open Air Cinema at Kirstenbosch!!

Date: 19.12.2012 (Wednesday)
Start time: 20:15
End time: 22:00

Want free tickets?

Send your name and forum name to justin@climbing.co.za

First come, first served 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:25 am 

Hi Justin

Just a quick, public thank you for the tickets: I was on an annual road trip while the Reel Rock Tour was played in Cape Town, Durban and JHB. This was the second year in a row that I missed out, and so it was a great pleasure going last night.

What I found most interesting of all wasn't the movie, but the crowd: the majority were non-climbers, yet everyone enjoyed the show, appreciating the competition between Adam and Chris for the route; the suffering of the team on the Sharksfin and the story is the Wide Boys (although this was badly portrayed in Reel Rock compared to the full movie.

Public climbing events like this make climbing accessible to the masses of spectators out there. I think in the same way having events like the Tour de France shown on TV helps Cycling so would more climbing events in public help climbing. I look forward to big Rock Masters and National climbing events in public locations. It would be great to even have Youth Nationals at waterfronts, but perhaps that is a dream too far.

Anyway I am rambling :)

Thank you again

Warren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 am 

Hi Warren,

Pleasure, glad you finally got to see the film!

Warren G wrote:
Public climbing events like this make climbing accessible to the masses of spectators out there. I think in the same way having events like the Tour de France shown on TV helps Cycling so would more climbing events in public help climbing.

Agreed! Events/films similar to this that expose the general public to climbing really promotes the rock climbing as a sport (as opposed to something that crazy people do!)

Warren G wrote:
I look forward to big Rock Masters and National climbing events in public locations. It would be great to even have Youth Nationals at waterfronts, but perhaps that is a dream too far.

Nationals at the Waterfront have already happened, although they were not sustainable at the time - see pic below.
Lets see what 2013 brings on the climbing front :alien:

Attachments:
File comment: Rock climbing wall competition V&A Waterfront
waterfront_climbing_02.jpg
waterfront_climbing_02.jpg [ 53.55 KiB | Viewed 556 times ]