Quantcast
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 pm 

Hi all

We were out there last weekend and spotted what we believed to be a breeding pair of Black Eagles. They were constantly returning to a specific spot and we believe we heard a chick's cries. We did not have a clear view, so it's a bit of speculation, but I'm pretty sure there's a nest.

I've contacted people involved with the conservation of the eagles and they will follow up, but in the meanwhile please do not venture past the last climb of the "old section" namely King’s Kloof NW, the route name is "CRUCIFIXION". There is a marked foot path past it, but it's very very close to what we believed to be the nest, I would personally suggest not even climbing that route. There was not a line of sight to the spot we believed to be the nest from any of the other climbs, so those should be fine.

I'll update with any news I get.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 am 

We spotted 3 eagles on Sunday morning, looked like the parents and one fledgling cruising through the kloof. Couldn't see the nest but they seemed to congregate further down river on the NW section.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm 

Hi Guys

Phoned the manager Derrick Shroder, he will investigate to see if the Eagles are permanent and let me know. He also said the fee for 2013 will remain the same at R30 per person. Please note that each and every person must sign the indemnity in the box by the house and put in R30 per person before they go up to climb. The gate sign in is separate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:14 pm 

Emile, that is quite existing news.

There is a breeding pair of Black Eagles which nests at the Walter Sisulu Botanical gardens (see http://www.blackeagles.co.za/) which about 7/8 km away as the ‘eagle flies’. It could be that pair whose territory extends to Kings Kloof or in fact a different pair (which will be really good news as the number of breeding pairs in Gauteng has been declining for decades). The typical cycle for Black Eagles is to start with nest building activity in Feb / March, their chicks hatch in April and then a single juvenile is raised and after fledging stays within the territory until it is chased away by the adults around the end of the year. It will be very interesting to confirm what is actually going on and if it is a different pair / nest. One would also need to consider whether there may be any potential impact from climbing activities on the Eagles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 pm 

Thanks for the feedback!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 am 

i have seen the eagle a lot lately at kings i have climbed crucifixion a few times recently too and have seen no signs of a nest in that vicinity. I'm pretty sure the eagles we are seeing are from the botanical gardens. No matter where they from its awesome to see them so often and close. there is a very brown looking young black eagle around too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hi

I have seen 3 Eagles there every time I have been there over December & beginning Jan - looks like 2 adults & a fledgeling. Unlikely to be the Botanical Garden ones - as I believe I have seen them soaring way above, towards that way at the same time! Good news all around, maybe someone can do a proper study as I am sure they are there everyday. They actually don't seem to mind the climbers - they fly past quite low - just like they did at Bronkies originally.