Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 pm 

I'm going traveling for a year and want to go climb all over. What would you say is the Top 10 best places to go to? I'm going to take a sport rack with but if there's a trad mission ill try my best too make friends with a tradie there to do a few climbs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 am 

I'm no authority on this, but off the top of my head:
You can knock yourself out on limestone in Continental europe. France: verdon gorge, ceuse etc. Spain dude, Spain! Wherever Sharma is climbing. That insane area in Turkey - Geyikbayiri (?) - you can do it cheap!) Greece (Kalymnos).
The States - red river gorge; new river gorge; Yosemite (!!!!!!) etc etc.
Thailand!
Vietnam!
China!
Cuba!
Australia - mount Arapiles (trad)

I guess the best way to go about it is to visit regions during their good weather seasons.
Just google. And this: http://www.climb-europe.com/index.htm
Jealous! :thumright

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:29 am 

ivan wrote:
I'm going traveling for a year and want to go climb all over. What would you say is the Top 10 best places to go to? I'm going to take a sport rack with but if there's a trad mission ill try my best too make friends with a tradie there to do a few climbs.

Save your money, go Klap the ledge!
If you wanna get out of town, travel to Yellow-wood/ Chess pieces

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:03 am 

So if you had the chance to take a year to travel, you'll go to yellow wood, just yellow wood?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 am 

My favorites (so far!):

1 Catalunya, Spain (for the best limestone money can buy) France is similar but the locals are less friendly
2 Areas around Mexico City, Mexico (for the amazingly friendly locals, awesome culture and sick crags like El Chonta the tufa cave)
3 China (for the totally different cultural experience and some fun limestone around Yangshou)
4 Red River Gorge, USA (crazy steep jug hauling on amazing sandstone and a killer camping vibe that's really cheap)
5 Patagonia, Argentina (for the surreal landscape of glaciers and spires)
6 Tonsai, Thailand (for the most relaxing climbing holiday you'll ever have! and great food)
7 Kalymnos, Greece (haven't been yet but it consistently comes up as people's favorite holiday destination)
8 Buttermilks, Bishop and Hueco Tanks, Texas (for the best bouldering outside of Rocklands) Add Fontainbleau, France to the list if you must but not as good a camping vibe and the local scene is not very friendly
9 Spitzkoppe, Namibia (maybe you don't have to travel so far. Namibia offers a crazy desert experience that is fairly cheap and not overrun by tourists. Spitzkoppe itself is an incredible big wall granite location (on bolts) but don't forget your game face. The boulders below the wall offer some top quality sport pitches)
10 Yosemite, USA (in case you do take that trad rack. Best, friendliest bigwalling in the world along with world class bouldering right in your campsite)
11 The Darrans, Fiordland, New Zealand - Crazy location and some of the world's best hard overhanging granite (rains a lot but the wall is so steep it's always dry). The South Island is also a fun roadtrip location that can be done pretty cheap

I don't recommend Vietnam by the way. Not a great holiday experience, poor quality climbing and the locals are out to rip you off...

Hope that helps. Have a crazy year!
:thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 am 

My Dream year trip would be.

Fly to kalymnos spend a few weeks.

Week or two in Fontain Blu, before a tip to verdon Gorge.

Throw in some alpine peack baging if time and funds alow

Then take a trip to the grit stone of the peak district, and see what thats all about.

Next stop america!,

Yosemite, month or three. Then some crack climbing in indian creek

A trip to squarmish.

Then take a trip to thialand and spend the rest of my time and funds.

Just a dream really

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 am 

Thanx SteveB!!! All that info is helping a lot. Trying to keep things cheap so I can spend more time climbing. That whole list of yours has turned into a goal now to tick off in a year! :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

SteveB I am interested that you put Spitzkoppe above Yosemite, is that because you are writing this for a RSA audience? I have been to both and was most miserable the day I left them. Yosemite is a bit busy I agree, while Spitzkoppe is the exact opposite. I could spend months in either and be happy, but I'd love to know why you put them in that order.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:35 pm 

Some good stuff listed.

Things I would add;

Castle Hill Basin NZ - just a mad place; great bouldering, amazing scenery.

For sheer diversity of climbing in a concentrated area North Wales is hard to beat; mountain routes, single pitch, sport, bouldering, sea cliffs, the works. Shame the weather is so hit and miss.

Add the Grampians to Arapiles mentioned above; they are only a couple of hours apart, but very different. around the Mount Stapylton campsite there is a load of stuff on offer too, and more if you have a car.

Red Rocks Nevada. Just about every type of climbing you can think of from big walls to single pitch sport and bouldering and everything inbetween. Plus the madness of Vegas next door. Would break up trip from RRG to Hueco to Red Rocks to Bishop / Yosemite too.

If you are going for diversity choose only the primo spots for single pitch euro lime sports; if you choose Catalunya you could arguably skip it elsewhere. Although Verdon is something else, and if you are going there Ceuse is worth a look in too.

I've always fancied Riglos, and heard amazing things.

How many millions you got saved?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:53 pm 

Got quiet a bit saved up but planing to work inbetween. Got 4 jobs so far, one in california, holland! Thailand an Australia. Know the people but for the rest ill doing something part time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm 

Not a lot of cragging in Holland, but some cool looking walls

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1827

And other things to occupy your mind :drunken:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:53 pm 

Red Rocks is a must.
Smith Rocks is great.
I still need to get to Spain myself.
Arco is worth a visit.
Thailand is a must.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm 

Go with steves advice, given that he has been on a 5 yr trip!My only add would be Ceuse, if only to appreciate one of the most important sport crags in the world, and get spanked!
Enjoy
A