Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Table Mountain Clean Up
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:31 pm 

So I am the climbs convener for the UCT MSC, the cable car company has approached us and the MCSA and asked if we would be willing to help clean up rubbish in the hard to reach areas around the top cable car station. This means some people will be scrambling around the ledges below the stain and others abseiling in and collecting garbage on the ledges below the cable station.

If you are keen to come along and help us on the day it would be greatly appreciated by the cable car people but more importantly other climbers and the mountain!

We will be doing the clean up this Wednesday (21st) its a public holiday. The plan is to catch a lift up on the cable car (they will sponsor tickets) abb down collecting garbage along the way, then climb back up or more lightly walk round fountain ledge back up to the top station and catch a lift down.

We will be meeting at 8:30 on Wednesday Morning, and are hoping to be done by lunchtime.

If you are keen to help pleas let me know, as I will have to arrange tickets and other logistics. The info I need is: name, cell number, climbing experience (little or none is ok), gear you have and e-mail address. Pleas e-mail me these details.

RAD!

Chris Laidler
chris.laidler@gmail.com
cell: 076 687 3178

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm 

Anybody coming from Tableview side can let me know if they want to liftclub, there are two of us coming from this side afaik.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:18 am 

Kudos to the UCT MSC and members of the public that joined them. It had a great turnout

:thumright

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 pm 

great article (and great effort) by the UCT MSC and the MCSA.
http://tablemountain.net/blog/entry/200 ... _mountain/

Attachments:
Mountain_clean-up_21March2012_1-620x792.jpg
Mountain_clean-up_21March2012_1-620x792.jpg [ 185.41 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Post subject: Table Mountain Clean Up
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 am 

Some of you will remember the great success we had at the Table Mountain Cleanup (TM Cleanup) last year, well we are doing it again!

For those of you who don't know about it, the cable car company has approached the climbing community and asked if we would be willing to help clean up rubbish in the hard to reach areas around the top cable station. Their staff clean the area on the top but plenty gets thrown or blown off and ends up in the crags surrounding the top cable station.

We abseil in and collecting garbage on the ledges around the cable car. Many of us spend a lot of time on the mountain, now is your opportunity to get involved and give something back to the the mountain we love. We are looking for as many volunteers as possible, we will split into two main groups, abseil teams and walkers.

Abseil Teams:
For the abseil teams it is advised you have some experience on ropes and some knowledge of the area and some gear, if you are a bit short in some of theses areas don't stress we can pair you up with a more experienced climber.

Walkers:
At the same time we send walkers down onto some of the more ‘exciting’ ledges that don't need ropes to access, so we need plenty people with a head for heights and knowledge of the area.

The date is set for Thursday 21st March (Its a public holiday), the basic plan is the same as last year: we meet early at the lower cable station. The Cable Car Company will kindly give us a free lift up in a cable car we then split up into teams, collect all the rubbish we can and return around lunch time, leaving us the rest of the afternoon to climb or hike if we want. The Cable Car Company will give us a free ticket for the return journey as well.

If you are interested please contact me I need your details.

If you know of anyone who may be interested please pass this message on as well.

Regards

Chris Laidler
/\/ˉˉˉˉ\/\
MSC Chairperson 2013
chris.laidler+tmc@gmail.com
Cell: 076 687 3178

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 pm 

Well done and thanks to everyone who helped clean up Table Mountain - thats quite a bit of trash!!!

More pictures of the Table Mountain cleanup here: http://www.climbing.co.za/2013/03/table ... an-up-2013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm 

Awesome - well done all and thanks for giving up a day to do this. I was up at the ledge on the weekend and it was squeeky clean - what a pleasure! :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am 

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 am 

ok then

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:02 pm 

:arrow: Table Mountain Clean Up 2014