Slangolie Frontal

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
arno

Slangolie Frontal

Postby arno » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Anybody have a decent route description for Slangolie Frontal, or know where I could get one?
“ Behold, I lay in Zion
A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”

Postby guest » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

arno

Postby arno » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:59 pm

Hahaha!! Classic! It was a pleasure just reading that :lol: Thanx for the info bro. I'll definitiely give them a shout. God bless
“ Behold, I lay in Zion

A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,

And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”

Stu

Postby Stu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:13 pm

After my experiences and reading this I have just realized that \"a day out in SA doing some of our lovely country routes\", in fact means \"a disorientated confusing day out in hell with dodgy gear and bloody scraped legs where you will be lucky to come back alive\".
Ya gotta love it though!

arno

Postby arno » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:28 pm

This is Africa baby! Or something like that. Was discussing a similar topic with a friend a while back and we came to the conclusion that because we have no great civil war or some \"groot trek\" which supplies it's natural amount of adversity which in turn gives us the character to deal with life itself, we feel the need to mission up a mountain with a very large chance of coming home as Stu said : Disorientated, confused and scraped to a bloody mess. Just seems to put everything in perspective :D Humans... :?

Grigri

Postby Grigri » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:50 pm

I was with Ross on the ascent used to write the topo for SA Mountainmag. As far as I know his description is the only modern one of the route. He no longer works for the mag, your best bet is to hunt down the issue that has the route description in. The route we took (right of the arete proper to start with, traversing onto it properly higher up) is the best line. The true arete lower down looked pretty awful.

The route itself is a country route classic! It has a really wild feel as you walk in leaving the houses behind. Its hard to believe that you are still in a city at all! Be prepared for the odd section of dodgey rock (avoidable) and an interesting experience finding your way back onto the plateau at the top (not too bad). The route is long, it took us most of the day moving at a leisurely pace and stopping for lunch. Start as early as possible and keep water for the walk down as that slope bakes in the afternoon sun. Its a great outing especially for a first multipitch route as you get really high up with little exposure; there being ledges everywhere to chill on.

MarkM

Postby MarkM » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 am

The route description is in issue no. 5 (June 2003).

If you can't find a copy let me know and I'll scan the relevant pages and mail them to you.
Open hand, open mind...

Rastaman

Postby Rastaman » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:53 am

Sounds amazing.
Any chance the rd could be posted up here?

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:33 am

I must have done Slangolie Frontal at least ten times. Wonderful outing. The more direct start is virtually off the path as you round the buttress and see Corridor. I reckon the direct start (only about 13/14 at most) is on good rock and makes the route much more direct. There are many variations to the line and after a couple of ascents you work out the best pitches, making a grand route, well sheltered from the SE wind. Finishing by going through the Yellowwood Cracks rounds off the day nicely.

Note the Corridor Rib route in Corridor ravine to your right. Worthwhile doing too.

Garron

Re: Slangolie Frontal

Postby Garron » Fri May 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi

Does anyone have a Slangolie Frontal RD that they could send me?

Thanks,
Garron

MargheritaIntrona

Re: Slangolie Frontal

Postby MargheritaIntrona » Fri May 03, 2013 2:44 pm

RD emailed :wink: Enjoy and take loads of photos to post on ClimbZA :afro:

Garron

Re:

Postby Garron » Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Richard wrote:I must have done Slangolie Frontal at least ten times. Wonderful outing. The more direct start is virtually off the path as you round the buttress and see Corridor. I reckon the direct start (only about 13/14 at most) is on good rock and makes the route much more direct. There are many variations to the line and after a couple of ascents you work out the best pitches, making a grand route, well sheltered from the SE wind. Finishing by going through the Yellowwood Cracks rounds off the day nicely.

Note the Corridor Rib route in Corridor ravine to your right. Worthwhile doing too.

Thanks for this advice, went up the buttress on Saturday, well did the first two pitches of "Left Leg" and then realised that we were not on Slangolie Frontal so then just picked the nicest looking lines and climbed that, some excellent interesting climbing, lots of fun.

Do you have a RD for Corridor Rib? That looks quite nice.

Sorry Margherita did not take any photos, really ment to...

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”