Quantcast
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:28 pm 

We climbed on Rooiberg recently. Left our packs near the base of Swazikings and when we returned next morning the baboons had stripped Nix's pack, shredded the inside padding of her helmet, spread her T-shirt and other sweaty clothes all over the show and stolen 1 newish climbing shoe. Shoe never to be found. Luckily other climbing group lent her a pair of shoes for the next 2 days. If anyone sees a baboon wearing one yellow Evolv shoe grab it! It's Nix's. Spoke to Louise and Stephan and they have undertaken to put some kind of cage up there so climbers can stash their gear in over night. Swazikings - a 5+ star route even with oversize shoes! Take care.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 am 

You leave your gear at the base of a route, that has a 20min walk-in ???

What ever happened to some cardio.

You probably park on the disabled parking right next to the entrance of Spar too.....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 am 

Hann - hahaha.

At FernKloof and WigWam I recall several similar incidents. They baboons seemed to have a particular fascination for chalk, and climbing shoes in particular.
They would consistently rifle bags, find the bottle of chalk, break it open and leave it spread over the ground. They didn't actually consume (snort!) any.

They would also steal climbing shoes. I remember chasing a baboon who had taken one of Greg's climbing shoes. He was escaping high above the last pool at Fern, never to be seen again - I tossed a rock at him and in his fright he dropped the shoe into the pond. Yes it was winter...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am 

Must be the smell that attracts them to shoes. Maybe they acquired a liking for overripe Camembert and pond algae at some point?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am 

Chris, Interesting then that it was the lady's shoe.....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:34 am 

This reminds me of the time we were hiking the otter trail and one of the guys carried a rather large Boerewors Roll that he had vacuum sealed to braai on the 4th (last) night.
In the afternoon we left our packs on the trail and scrambled down to one of the beaches.
When we returned a hour later the monkeys had raided our packs and stolen his wors.

He had carried the wors which probably weighed about 1.5kg up and down hills for 4 days and did not get to eat it!
It was classic to see the look on his face!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:32 pm 

Hann,

You obviously don't know Rooiberg. Wait until you're 67+ and see if you can walk up there then lead Swazikings and Blunt brothers the next day!
You're still in nappies.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

Hann wrote:
Chris, Interesting then that it was the lady's shoe.....

That's the smell from Lady's shoes. The smell from most bloke's shoes is more a mix of rotten seagull corpse and slow cooked vomit.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 am 

Hey Ringo!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Swazi Kings. What did you think of the grade? Does pitch 1 warrant an 18?

Craig and I usually leave our gear up there whenever we climb Rooiberg, despite the relatively short walk in - it makes a big difference to start out fresh at the base and we always seem to manage more routes as a result. The cage sounds like a good solution.

Next time you're there try "Dangerous Liason" - it's 18 with a little bit of simple aid to get through the fourth pitch. We were also very proud of "Kif Kids" - a softish 19 (the "19" pitch can also be aided easily bringing the route grade down to 18).

Chuffed these routes are getting some traffic!

All the best,
David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 am 

Glad you ask the question about the grade of P1 on Swazi King. I thought it a grade or two harder. I may have missed a hold but would like to hear from someone who has climbed it more than once.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:32 pm 

Swazikings - Yes Dave, That's an excellent route. 5 star. Well done for opening it. We definitely found P1 hard for a 17 but then I'm pretty long in the tooth. Everything always seems a grade or 2 harder. Interestingly I only used 2 cams on P1. the rest was wires and well protected. I expect I could of done it without but got a bit tired at the crux. Nix and I often leave the cams at home and climb wires only I cut my teeth on pitons and hammer and Nix on wires well before cams came in.
We also did Blunt Bros for the second time and found that also good, esp P4. On our previous visit to Rooiberg we climbed on 6 days in succession and did everything we could. Didn't like the rock on Paramour. Pyramid was a good warmup route.
We're contemplating Liasons in spring but may think long and hard before attempting Kif Kids.

Cheers, Ringo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:34 pm 

By the way. The climbing shoe has been found but we're not sure what state it's in. Could be well sucked and chewed.