Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:29 am 

I am fairly new to the whole climbing scene. I have been climbing plastic for a few months now and I think its time to get a taste of the real deal. I live in Pretoria, and I want to know which crag/climbing site near me I should try out? I am willing to drive as far as Bronkies but I would rather first ask on the forum and then offer up my Saturday and Petrol money :wink: (I am a student)

Any personal favorites or suggestions near Pretoria?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:11 am 

hi

firstly trad or sport would you like to climb ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 am 

Yo dude

If you are a student, you live in Pretoria and you want to climb join in with the peeps from Exploratio. We have an awesome bouldering cave for during the week and we go on rock every weekend. If you want to know more pm me :).

Keep on climbing :thumright

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am 

Bronkies & Chosspile are it - lots of good routes for beginners. And Strubens if you're desperate. Magaliesberg is awesome when you get into trad.
or
move to Cape Town :wink:

PS: the wiki shows all the developed climbing in the area

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 am 

In the light of the CT weather isn't that bad advice Mok? :jocolor:

He can climb every day of winter where he is currently & there is more than enough climbing...he can even venture to Boven with his new pals from Explo...or he could move to the Cape for the wind & the rain instead of balmy winter sunshine...doesn't sound like much of a deal to me...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:29 pm 

Haha yeah I know the Cape weather well, I lived in Paarl for two years (still sad I never got to climb there)

Sorry I didn't say but I was mainly loooking for Sport routes. Thanks for the replys, I think Ill check out Chosspile first and then Bronkies. And I'm afraid I can't join the club scince I rarely get to Pta because I'm studying at Potch.

Also, do I neeed my own quickdraws at Chosspile or can I rent them there? If so, how much would they cost?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 pm 

No gear rentals at Chosspile or Bronkies (or just about anywhere else for that matter - except Boven). There is an active student climbing community in Potch - hook up with some guys that have gear until you can buy your own. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm 

mokganjetsi wrote:
No gear rentals at Chosspile or Bronkies (or just about anywhere else for that matter - except Boven).

Not anymore... you can also rent gear in Montagu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm 

Point to note is that access to Choss will be difficult if you do not belong to a club - go see the rules. So Explo may still be a good option or the Mountain Club...hopefully there is an explanation somewhere as to why those rules exist, but either way if you want the access then you have to follow the rules :thumright

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm 

Ok - yes, I know Jo'burg and Pretoria aren't as close as most non GP people think, but anyway...

There is a lot of awesome bouldering around the top of Northcliff. I didn't get a proper chance to check the lower crag out, it may have some good trad. There's lots of broken glass though, so be careful...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm 

Thanks I'll check it out. I do belong to my University's club, but we don't have ID cards or any papers, you just pay your fees for the year and you are in! What should I tell them at Chosspile?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am 

This thread stirred my memory, sorry for the digression. Can anyone tell me the name of a sport climbing area SE (ish) of Pretoria; all I can remember about is there were 2 crags; 1 shortish routes, south facing with a concreted base and one the other side of a river with longer routes and a bit shadier, poss east facing. I remember being a bit concerned for safety; a lot of local population taking an interest in us. This was about 18 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 pm 

Possibly just off Zambesi (on the way to Cullinan), and the local residents would have been from the Mamelodi side of the mountain? All RD's have been taken offline due to armed robberies. From what I heard it was a pretty cool place, even a multi-pitch route or 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm 

I think you are referring to Baviaanspoort - just past the old Sewage works. Like Emile said way too much violence...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 pm 

I'm going to Chosspile tomorrow. I read the wiki and all seems fine! Except... I DO belong to my university's club... payed the whole R400 and all, but we don't have ID cards! What should I do?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:09 am 

Old Smelly wrote:
I think you are referring to Baviaanspoort - just past the old Sewage works. Like Emile said way too much violence...

That's the kitty. Was a nice spot, even if the water was a bit smelly. Didn't feel that save even back then. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am 

Tell the people there that you belong to a club & write it in the book. I am not sure they will require more from you but its worth a try. Otherwise contact Andrew Pedley.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:56 pm 

Old Smelly wrote:
Tell the people there that you belong to a club & write it in the book. I am not sure they will require more from you but its worth a try. Otherwise contact Andrew Pedley.

OK I will give it a try. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:04 am 

PLEASE DO NOT contact me, I get calls often like I am some sort of call centre, but I did not make this rule, much to my protest Mt Amanzi Manager did.
A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am 

Andy is to busy on his new project, at the lower cave at choss:P

@ Old Smelly
A bunch of us have been bouldering in that area quite a bit, not on the Baviaanspoort farm, but the one adjacent (the one with the slide), further away from Pretoria. The guy had no problem with us not paying(unlike his neighbor) and just required us to phone him before. Wesley had his number until his phone got stolen. Point being, we still climb there:) The "3 amigos" line is a classic (7B/7A+, rocklands grading not ezemvelo)

eT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am 

Glad someone is getting some climbing in that area.The access we used was a pipe tunnel that one had to walk through from the sewage farm, that then brought you out onto the concrete slab, with the climbs on your left &, as mentioned, across the river. The problem was that this was a thoroughfare for the locals & I think there were even a few shoot outs, so if you are in that area please be careful.

Sorry AndrewP I just knew that you knew the access details :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm 

Turns out we were going to Baviaansberg North East of Pretoria.

Ebert Nel
all these names they give kids these days, all the same

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 am 

hannobisschoff wrote:
Thanks I'll check it out. I do belong to my University's club, but we don't have ID cards or any papers, you just pay your fees for the year and you are in! What should I tell them at Chosspile?

To join the Mountain Club you generally have to attend some meets and get signatures from existing members to get you in. This among other things ensure that you are aware of climbing and hiking ethics. I'm hoping that University clubs also educate their members?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 pm 

Liz wrote:
ensure that you are aware of climbing and hiking ethics.

F minus, Fail on that one so far!

Remedial lessons required.