South Africa and travelling up to kenya

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

franciex

South Africa and travelling up to kenya

Postby franciex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 am

I'm going to Africa for the summer. I'm starting off in South Africa and travelling up to kenya. I'm aiming to leave johannesburg after the world cup - around the 11th/12th of July and heading up to Niarobi, where I am planning a safari and kili climb. Flights between the two parts seem very expensive (even keeping the world cup in mind) and I'm wondering what would be the best way to travel? Seeing as my schedule is very flexible at the moment, I'm open to all ideas, be it by bus, boat, etc. Plus, it might give me the chance to see other great areas of africa. Any suggestions?

zoed

Re: South Africa and travelling up to kenya

Postby zoed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm

I've done this trip by road the other way around - though I drove in my own vehicle. It is possible to do it by public transport - buses and trains are your best option. I would suggest going from SA, through Swaziland, up through Mozambique, right up through Malawi, into Tanzania, and then up to Kenya. Fairly easy to get buses all the way, and there are lots of options for backpackers hostels and campsites the whole way. You are likely to meet people at hostels who you could get rides with for sections. Check out the Lonely Planet travellers forum.
Enjoy!

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Zoe, you've been punked :wink:

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Yes, that was a spammer... I have removed the links, but left the post as someone may find it relevant.

Thanks Zoe for the reply, below is a pic taken in Montagu as you began your trip :D

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

zoed

Postby zoed » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 am

oops. too gullible... eish

Social Media

Return to “South Africa Climbing News”