Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 pm 

I am hoping to do the Turret and the Amphlett at Monk's Cowl in the Drakensberg at the end of the month. The standard route on both is supposed to be easy (a C+ and a D, so about a 7 and an 8 ). These pics are from the top of Sterkhorn North Summit - can anyone confirm I have the right line on the peaks?

Attachment:
Amphlett.jpg
Amphlett.jpg [ 174.2 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]
Attachment:
Turret route.jpg
Turret route.jpg [ 217.35 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hi Jonathan

These are the ones you want. I have never climbed them so cannot comment on the route you have traced out, or the difficulty. Enjoy it. I suggest trying a skyline traverse from the right, and knock off Sterkhorn (again) while you are at it

Attachments:
Berg.JPG
Berg.JPG [ 27.42 KiB | Viewed 719 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:47 pm 

Indeed those are the ones.

I have considered traversing across - looks like a single pitch of relatively easy climbing might be required to get there though. Hard to tell from photos whether or not there are holds and the rock is any good. It looks very unsteep though. We will probably camp at Blind Mans Corner the night before, slog up with a light trad rack (I hear Amphlett takes 2 nuts and a medium/large hex - not sure about Turret).

I actually have my eye on a new line on Middle Sterkhorn. Looks like an easy-ish traverse. Should be really exposed though, not sure if the holds are any good.
Attachment:
Sterk.jpg
Sterk.jpg [ 175.23 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]

My goal is to conquer that full ridge - the 3 unnamed lumps at the end, Amphlett, Turret, all 3 Sterkhorns, Cathkin and I may have a go at Monk's Cowl some day (but that crux pitch on the standard route terrifies me). Champagne has 2 easy frontal routes and I have my eye on a possible pass line below Cowl View Peak (also known as Champagne Ridge Peak). Nkososana Falls also has a possible pass line that needs some investigation. But I get ahead of myself - I already have 4 "new" pass projects needing work at Giants and have successfully done 3 new passes at Giant's in the last year and a bit...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 am 

Hey Ghaznavid,

Those lines you had on turret and amphlett seem pretty good to me. Last did them 10 years ago(!!!!), but the lines are pretty easy to follow, they really are the easiest looking ways up.

We slept lightweight in the bush below sterkhorn, climed standard on sterkhorn, traversed on those big grass ledges to turret, and then same onto amphlett. Didnt take us more than 5 hours from camp to camp for all three.

We didnt take any gear, as they are all easy scrambles, if you feel confident with berg scrambling I would do the same. Anyway hope you enjoy it! Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm 

Ghaznavid wrote:
My goal is to conquer that full ridge

Way to go, good luck with the mission!