Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:36 pm 

Anyone got an opinion on Dragons vs Solutions for bouldering?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 pm 

From what I have seen. 5.10 Dragons are better for vertical climbing to roof climbing with the better edging ability. The solution is more preferred for bouldering/ roof climbing as its toe hook is amazing. Its however less preferred for vertical and edging. The shoes however fit everyone differently with the heel being the most important thing to fit well. In the case of you being more interested in bouldering i personally recommend the 5.10 Teams over the solutions:D

Ebert Nel
5.10 for life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:07 pm 

Both Suck compared to the Shamans...especially when they're R1000 cheaper ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 pm 

Depends how they fit your feet. i love the heel on the solutions and they are brilliant for toe hooking. toeing down is average. other people hate the heel on solutions. I hate the heel on dragons but they are brilliant for toeing down on edges on steep rock. shamans don't fit my feet well at all. In fact if any one wants a pair of size 41 shamans they can have the pair that i bought.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:38 am 

Hi Jimbo

Please can I take you up on your offer of the Shamans?

Can I offer you 1 nights free accomodation at Rainbow Glen in Montagu to swop for them?

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 pm 

Tell him he can have one shoe for that Jimbo :lol: Demand both nights of the weekend:P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:23 am 

I think they might be too small for me anyway.

Does anybody know if the Shamans are particularly tight?
I normally wear a 42 and dont wear my shoes too tight/dont climb that hard.

So if anybody else can make Jimbo a better offer then go for it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:07 pm 

I honestly think these conversations are invalid because like Cinderella, if the shoe fits, wear it. Don't try be the ugly sister just to look cool in the bling shoes to impress the prince. If you aren't Cinderella find a good fit for you.

I am strongly convinced that fashion plays a role in this: if they are expensive and have the right name on them then they must be the best. One can't buy confidence, one must feel it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:46 pm 

To experience the difference between probably the two top downturned shoes ever made(imho), one needs to climb really difficult routes, those routes where the holds seem to disappear. Grade 27 and up. Then the answer is: the one that fits your foot the best. I really believe that great footwork and excellent sticky rubber helped me up some harder routes back when i was climbing quite a bit harder than now. Don't compare yourself with the Chris Sharmas of the world as they can probably send grade 36 with gumboots, but look at your limit, look at the routes that seem like you'll need magic to get up it in one go - then you might find the benefit of a hardcore shoe like the Dragon or Solution. I am still convinced that for my feet, the Dragon is the best shoe ever. But put it on a Paarl Rock slab, and it might suck because of its down-turned toe angle. Its so much more than fashion, there is actual technology behind these top brands. Its about the rock too. For indoor type climbing, any snug fitting shoe will do ok, but climbing shoe technology really come into play when you look at rock type, angle of climb and most importantly fit. This is my humble opinion, and taking ''hard climbing'' as topic.
:thumleft: