Cederberg wildfire update?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
JacovV

Cederberg wildfire update?

Post by JacovV » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Fellow mountain people

Does anyone have good info on the latest status of the big fire that broke out a couple of days ago?

Apparently its close/passed Sanddrif already.

All the best

Jaco
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it

Justin

Re: Cederberg wildfire update?

Post by Justin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Via Dave Glass:
I was just in the Cederberg, Middelberg and Tafelberg area burnt yesterday. Here's a pic from this morning.
Attachments
cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpg
cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

JacovV

Post by JacovV » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks Justin

Planned (and booked) a trip from the 26th to 30th

Was hoping to mountain bike and climb with some shade now and again

Lets see how bad it is

J
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:23 am

Any updates?

Sounds like Dwarsrivier/Sanddrift got taken out!!?
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 pm

From Cederberg Wines

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016, ‘round 18h00, just before sunset most of ‘our campers’ returned to Sanddrif Holiday resort where a fire raged for two hours around the actual campsite.

In the Cederberg Wilderness area a life threatening fire burnt more than 21 000 hectares to the ground. It started late Friday in the Crystal Pool area – known by the hikers as ‘Block B’.
Our Sanddrif holiday resort narrowly escaped.

We are exceptionally thankful to the “campers” – regulars and new - who stood behind us unifying as one person supporting us. The biggest percentage of them stayed on and some returned the next day with brand new gear. Tonight, Thursday, the sites and chalets are again fully booked.

We are thankful to our neighbours, Cape Nature, ‘Working for fire’ and many others that helped us.

We would like to confirm some details:
01. No lives were lost.
02. Of the 31 campsites – only two camping sites lost all their gear. The other 29 had tent and clothing damage caused by ash and small burning coals moved along by the wind.
03. Of the 16 chalets – NONE were burnt – only some damage on the outside.
04. Our water system was damaged, but the electric points are all fine. Some of the water system was up and running the same night.
05. There was NO damage on the actual farm, or in the vineyards.

Photo taken from bridge in the river – two hours after the fire moved through the area.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:18 pm

I spoke to Andy Wood last night. The cracks have burned, not sure if the actual climbing is affected but the walk up is a moonscape of black.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:39 pm

I do not have words to say how bleak I'm with humanity right now ... I hope whoever started it is found and charged and hammered as hard as the law allows. What does it take to get us not to f*ck everything up?

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:01 am

Hi All.

We returned from Sanddrif last night and were up at Wolfberg to retrieve our stashed gear under the Energy Crisis Prow yesterday. We were camping at the Lapa at Sanddrif the past week and were in the midst of the hectic scenes on Wednesday. fortunately there were no casualties (apart from a youngster blistering his feet in the ash the following day). Our group lost a few items: gazebo, MSR "Wing" & windburner and a few other odds and ends. We were fortunate to get most of our stuff out in time. We could probably have been a little bit more proactive prior to the fire arriving, but there was a general lack of comms from the "authorities" side.

Wrt. the climbing: the whole of the base of the main walls is a wasteland but the main crack did not burn at all. We walked up to the vlakte above the cracks yesterday afternoon and it was fine up there too. Further to the NW - Tafelberg etc. (and I suspect behind Wolfberg) it has burnt. The path up to the cracks is also totally burnt out but still fine to walk. There was a sign on the gate to the Cracks saying access is closed until further notice - best to call Dwarsrivier re. this?

Hope this helps.

Cheers Brian

PS. I'll try post some pics later

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:29 pm

as the reports come in the great relief is that no human lives or material infrastructure was lost - which is of course a good thing. but it breaks me how little mourning there is for the loss of animal & plant live - i shudder when i think of the countless tortoises that started cooking alive in their shells before the flames mercifully overtook them; chameleons, snakes & lizards; ants & beetles.......the destruction of fire is so cruel and absolute, and these areas will take years to fully recover. i wonder if we realise that taking a lighter or box of matches into a fire-prone area is like taking a loaded gun - and with what care such things should be used! the struggle saying of "we can do more with a box of matches than what you can do with guns" rings true and yet we let kids and inexperienced adults light away ..... :?

ofcourse i do not wish this on any one, but did wonder what necessary outrage may come about if someone finally loses their life in a man-made blaze; the culprits going to jail and we finally getting a sense of the great responsibility we carry when we venture into vulnerable nature.

i'm also thinking about petitioning cape nature to put a requirement on hiking groups to have a registered guide in their group during fire season; or at the least sign a form that assumes financial & other responsibility should a wildfire be started.

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Sadly the fire was started by the scouts.
they started the one that almost burned the farm a few years back as well.
IMHO they should be banned form ever using the Cederberg again.

Willem I appreciate your concern but a guide would add unnecessary expense. I do however agree that culprits starting fires should be held fully financially responsible for any losses incurred.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:57 am

yup I know a guide will shake things financially, but I actually think it will be a useful deterrent for casual hikers during fire season. Probably won't happen though, so the next best thing is to make people sign a form assuming full financial responsibility in the event of fire - at least it will be top of mind then.

And is it the Cape Town Scouts? I will do whatever I can to get them banned - clearly proper training & oversight is lacking.

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:05 am

Is the walk to tafelberg burnt and tafelberg itself?

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Pretty sure the whole of the area above Driehoek all the way up to T'berg was completely burnt. Not sure about the back side of T'berg though.

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Report and pics by Steve Koehorst (from yesterday).

Pics yesterday of the fire started from sundays storm which spread from north of the start of the Pakhuys Pass from Clanwilliam. These pics are of the fire in the valley north of Louis Leipoldts grave, wind blowing east toward Faith, Hope and Charity but not threatening any climbing currently.

I believe it is worse north of Sassies where the farm 'klipopmekaar' (the Bos Ice Tea guy's farm) has lost a lot of veld and they are battling still. His farm est. (?) 20-30km north of Sassies.
Its hot and dry currently 37C and has been up to 47C over the last ten days at hottest!

Today the fires appear mostly out as wind stopped.
Attachments
01_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg
01_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg (200.42 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
02_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg.jpeg
02_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg.jpeg (72.6 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
03_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg.jpeg
03_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg.jpeg (77.89 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
04_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg.jpeg
04_cederberg_fire_december_2016.jpeg.jpeg (140.61 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

zoed

Post by zoed » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:26 pm

I enquired about the extent of the fire damage to the area on the approach walk from Welbedacht up towards Tafelberg.
This from Lizette at Driehoek farm:
"Unfortunately the area has been affected and is still closed until further notice"

mattb595

Post by mattb595 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 am

SO then no hiking to the arch?

abrainard01

Post by abrainard01 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am

Does anyone have an update?

We would love to climb Wolfberg or Tafelberg in the next few weeks. Are any of the other hikes open (to the arch or Pup?)