Where to climbing in Spain during winter?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
KaiPF

Where to climbing in Spain during winter?

Post by KaiPF » Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi there,

I'm planning on heading to Europe at the end of the year. I'll be Spain in January most likely and I'd like to know if anyone can give me some beta on the best places to climb during this season. I heard that Tarragona is a must but it would be good to avoid the rain. I'm not against going south but I'm keen to stay around the north/Pyrenees.

I'm also going to be traveling solo and I don't think I'll have enough cash to rent a car so it would be good to go to the more popular crags where I could hitch-hike or catch public transport and also find partners.

Thanks!
Kai

Willem

Re: Where to climbing in Spain during winter?

Post by Willem » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

Extauri, near Pamplona, ticks all your boxes. Amazing venue that faces south and catches every ray of sunlight available. The climbing is world class.

KaiPF

Post by KaiPF » Tue May 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks Willem! Much appreciated.

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed May 17, 2017 11:30 am

Bear in mind that Europe gets weather, not climate! The Feb I spent in Spain it was really cold, rained a lot and on clear days the puddles were frozen. Stay low as you can, and on the coast.

El Chorro near Malaga is popular in winter and can be accessed by train, Sella near Alicante is also a good spot, you can get most of the way there by train, but will need an infrequent bus, hitch or taxi for last stretch.