Coming to South Africa in August!

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Jesseman

Coming to South Africa in August!

Post by Jesseman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Me and my soon to be wife will be coming for our honeymoon for the month of August and are really looking forward to climbing in your beautiful country :) we are from the Rockies in Canada, and I am hoping to be able to lead 11a ( Yosemite grades). We are. Planning on limbing a few days at table mountain, and then camping at Hammersmith and waterval boven. Can anyone give is some beta on choice routes, places to camp etc? Really know next to nothing other than the abundance of info on this site :) thanks in advance and can't wait to meet some of you!

Gustav

Re: Coming to South Africa in August!

Post by Gustav » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Hey there,

By saying Hammersmith, I assume you mean Harrismith?

You could get luckily and get good weather at Eagle Mnt in Aug but normally you will get blown to pieces there. It is at altitude and super exposed. Rather spend more time in Boven. Awesome vibes here and super chilled campsite. Browse the site for route details everywhere.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey Jesse! Congrats on getting married - rad choice for honeymoon!
My 2c on your options:
Waterfall Boven is amazing and gives you lots quality routes in your grade. There is some trad but it is primarily a sport venue. From there it is a couple of hours to get to Kruger National Park and I can really recommend visiting it (perhaps on a rest day or two). August weather is good in the north eastern part of the country - cold and dry. You can download the RDs here: http://www.climbing.co.za/areas/waterval-boven/
If you are keen on trad you should check out Blydepoort (3rd largest canyon in the world); I haven't climbed there but have heard very good things. http://mcsajohannesburg.org/index.php?o ... Itemid=141
Harrismith - beautiful with good climbing, but as per Gustav's post winter weather can be pretty brutal up there with wind and extreme cold (well, extremely cold in an African context).
Cape Town / Table Mountain - it is in the middle of our rainy season and we're all hoping for a sh!tload of rain this year since we're in the middle of the worst drought ever measured in these parts. Chances are 50/50 that you'd be able to climb on Table Mountain; lots of classic routes to choose from. If Cape Town is wet there are very good climbing options a bit inland in the Karoo and Cederberg, which gets considerably less rain than Cape Town. Within approx 2-hours from CT check out Montagu and Rocklands (known for bouldering but there is some excellent sport climbing as well as a fair bit of new single pitch trad. The Cederberg is also a very rad environment; worth it to just walk around there and gawp at the endless amount of rock). Hellfire is also pretty good (1-hour from Cape Town). The Rocklands trad topo: http://onceuponaclimb.co.uk/rocklands-trad-topo/
The guide books you need (in addition to the wiki):
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/cap ... 39870.html
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/hel ... 39871.html
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/wes ... 39880.html

Jesseman

Post by Jesseman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Gustav wrote:Hey there,

You could get luckily and get good weather at Eagle Mnt in Aug but normally you will get blown to pieces there. It is at altitude and super exposed. Rather spend more time in Boven. Awesome vibes here and super chilled campsite. Browse the site for route details everywhere.
Totally what I meant! Sorry was typing this ony phone and occasionally my fat thumbs get it wrong :)

JacovV

Post by JacovV » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:31 am

Jesse

You aren't by any chance the guy I met two weeks ago on Mount Rundle's slopes while you were climbing with a women from Australia?

It boggles my mind now as I went there and met this couple and told them about Climb ZA and the openness of SA climbers.

All the best
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it

Jesseman

Post by Jesseman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:58 pm

JacovV wrote:Jesse

You aren't by any chance the guy I met two weeks ago on Mount Rundle's slopes while you were climbing with a women from Australia?

It boggles my mind now as I went there and met this couple and told them about Climb ZA and the openness of SA climbers.

All the best
It was not, but that is awesome! That has totally been my impression so far with all the people I've talked to so far. Really can't wait to come climb there!
Hope we were as friendly here :)

Jesseman

Post by Jesseman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Gustav wrote:Hey there,

Thanks!! Will definitely be stopping by your shop and saying hi! We will have a camper truck, so looks like we will be staying in tranquilitas when we are in boven but looking forward to meeting you all :)

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm

A not-so-far drive from Harrismith is the most legendary place in South Africa (possibly the world, for that matter, but I may be biased on this one). It isn't a massive detour, and is well worth spending a day in the Drakensberg Mountains. From Harrismith side you have easy access to the Chain Ladders which gives you access to the top of the mountain. Tugela Falls will probably be dry or frozen, but the top of the mountain is still awesome - notably the falls are officially the second highest on earth, but if measured by the same rules, it is comfortably the highest waterfall on earth.

If you want to go climbing, there is also the mighty Sentinel - a massive free-standing peak that you walk past on the way to the Chain Ladders. The standard route is quite easy (2 pitches on trad), but there are tons of other trad routes, and even a few sport climbs on the north face (the mountain is partly in a World Heritage Site and thus trad only, the boundary is confusing and not the watershed as most believe). Well worth a visit.
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

Jesseman

Post by Jesseman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 am

hi all! so our itnerary is set a little better now. we will be spending a few days in cape (aug 20 - 23) and some friends have apparently paid for a few days at somewhere swanky on garden route after that. we will be travelling in a 4x4 truck with a camper tent on it and will probably be heading straight for waterval boven right after. any reccomendations for crags in the area around cape and garden route? not sure i can lead anything higher than 22 (and that would be pushing it lol) you all seem like great people, cant wait to meet some of you!

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 am

The Ledge on Table Mountain (the area immediately below the Upper Cable Car Station) is home to some fantastic trad, and since we're having a drought, it is currently great climbing weather.

If you want sport climbing, then Silvermine/The Mine/The Hole (in order of increasing difficulty). Otherwise Paarl Mountain offers good granite (mostly sport) climbing in a spectacular setting.

Doesn't sound like you will be here long enough to travel to the Cederberg, home of the finest trad in the country.

On your way up the Garden Route, visit Montagu for more great sport climbing (probably the best in the Western Cape) and Outshoorn for the only Limestone crag in SA.
Happy climbing
Nic

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:16 am

The last honeymooning couple that went climbing at Harrismith's Everest had to be rescued.
Know how to prussik and have the gear to do it! It's not just a trad skill!! :)

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:08 pm

The scenic <22 sport detour between Garden Route & Harrismith:

Oudtshoorn has a few routes under 22, past Waterkloof not much in your range (through Baviaanskloof & then Hadley's Drift, as you have 4 x 4), to Pinnacle Gorge (is fun, super remote), Fort Fordyce (Mojo is a sweet route), then Hogsback.

Start here http://www.easterncaperockclimbing.co.z ... oudtshoorn

Join the dots.

http://www.easterncaperockclimbing.co.z ... n/hogsback

Gregdegidts

Post by Gregdegidts » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi Jesse
I dont know many of the best routes in the Cape but in Boven I'm sure Gustav will give you the beta.
Make sure to do Brollocks (19) at Disciple wall and Tool box (21) at God No Wall and both are Stellar :) There is also a new 22 (long and stunning) called What big eyes you have.
Cheers
Happy honeymoon
Greg