Peers cave - mugging

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
willh

Peers cave - mugging

Post by willh » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi,

Just a heads up. I took my two boys climbing at Peers cave yesterday afternoon. We were climbing the two easy routes near Amadeus, and although some people passed through there on the way to Peers cave itself, there were no other climbers. Around 16h30 or so we were approached by a fairly well dressed man in sunglasses (pepper spray protection?). After exchanging some pleasantries, he showed me his knife (looked like a large kitchen knife) and asked what we had for him. Neither of us escalated the situation and he ended up leaving with the money I had on me, leaving wallet/cellphone/gear behind. I didn't see anybody else, either then or on the walk out, but I suppose it is likely he had an accomplice nearby.

I am also aware of another apparent near mugging of another climbing friend about a month ago. They (two climbers) were approached by two guys (one hanging back) who seemed to be deciding whether it was worth trying to rob them. For whatever reason, these guys apparently decided against it.

So Peer's cave is not particularly safe at the moment. :(

Will

chrisb

Re: Peers cave - mugging

Post by chrisb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:30 pm

:shock: I'm sorry you and the boys had to go through that, Will. Well done for not escalating things. I'm really happy to hear that you're all okay!

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I would have escalated it to blowing the f***ers brains out!

NicoVenster

Post by NicoVenster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 am

That sucks man. Is there any specific kind of pepper spray anyone would suggest is the most debilitating (apart from spray as opposed to mist)?

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:33 am

So sick of hearing about these things.
I'm glad you guys are OK Will!!

I hope you gave the police a report? I know they are keen to catch these idiots but they can only do that if they get the info fast.

Still not cool that you had to experience that man. Hope the kids are OK
Cheers
Gerhard

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 am

Paintball hand gun with the "riot balls" , pepper spray filled paint balls or the ceramic paintballs. No license required. BUT you have to have it on you and be prepared to draw and use it FAST. Mostly these guys won't give you the chance.
Happy climbing
Nic

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Will,
Sorry that you and your boys had to experience this.
Well done keeping the situation calm.

I have alerted the Table Mountain Watch Group of this incident.
Nic Le Maitre wrote:Paintball hand gun...
I have given this some though before and it is my opinion that unless you have a dedicated person on watch. Any item that fires projectiles is worthless unless you are trained and very competent in the use of that item.
The main reason is that a person can approach you in a none threatening manner (ask you for a sip of water) and then pull a weapon. You might see them coming, but you don't know their intent (they might just really want a drink of water!).

Anatomy of a Mountain Mugging
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Hence the second part of my post. You'll hardly ever get a chance to use any of the wide variety of self defense devices. Best advice is probably to get a big dog.
Happy climbing
Nic

NicoVenster

Post by NicoVenster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Pepper spray on a crabiner on your harness? Just dangling there...

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Nic Le Maitre wrote:Hence the second part of my post. You'll hardly ever get a chance to use any of the wide variety of self defense devices. Best advice is probably to get a big dog.
Noted :thumleft:
Then see the Gauteng community having a major gripe about 'dogs at crag' :pirat: :twisted:

From one of the guys on the TM Watch Group.
Attachments
peers_cave_march_2017.jpg
peers_cave_march_2017.jpg (102.56 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

willh

Post by willh » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks for letting Table Mountain Watch know, Justin. I was wondering how to do that.

For your information, I had pepper spray in my pocket, and was trying to be as alert as possible to people approaching. But the timing of his approach was perfect - just at a point at which I needed to be very focussed on belaying and helping, and on the climb we were doing your back is naturally to the path. And as Justin suggested, his approach was not aggressive, his first few questions were quite casual - simply about what we were doing.

In hindsight, we were way too vulnerable for such a high risk area - I should have bailed the moment we were alone. In the future, it would seem wise to have at least one person on lookout at all times, hopefully able to give sufficient warning that when someone suspicious approaches, he faces a group of very prepared people - possibly with very visible defense mechanisms.

Cheers,
Will

Fats

Post by Fats » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:23 am

NicoVenster wrote:That sucks man. Is there any specific kind of pepper spray anyone would suggest is the most debilitating (apart from spray as opposed to mist)?
I have this MACE pepper spray with UV dye...

Mace Sport Jogger Defensive Sprays have a powerful OC pepper formula that creates an intense burning sensation and causes an attacker's eyes to slam shut upon direct contact. The Pepper Spray Jogger model is ideal for sports and outdoor activities such as running or hiking. You can carry it on your keychain, fasten it with the belt clip or have it in hand with the Velcro-like strap.

Vodkarat

Post by Vodkarat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

Sorry to hear about this and angry as well. This has been going on too long and it seems we are easy targets for muggers. The authorities are not going to like what I say next but we (Hike 4 All) are now armed when we are anywhere on Table Mountain. Back in 2005 there was an action group formed to deal with this but it has since sort of disintegrated because the authorities wanted to use a soft approach. Anyway, I hope you and the boys are not too traumatized and will be climbing again very soon.

Russell Warren

Post by Russell Warren » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 pm

I use the same Pepper spray Fatima is referring to and I can from experience say that if you spray that into someone's face or eyes they will be too focused on there own problems to harass you any further. I managed to get a small amount on my hands and face and it was not a pleasant experience :shock:

IdleLayabout

Post by IdleLayabout » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Update: There were apparently three muggings at Peers Cave this weekend, one on Saturday and two on Sunday, morning and afternoon.

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 am

An Overseas Film crew (10 people) with local assistants and children attacked at Peers Cave yesterday - 7 October at about 16h50.

4 knife and spade wielding males took all camera equipment and cell phones.

Yet another Peers Cave incident. .....

Serious questions need to be asked now, regarding this and other incidents and the safety of the public in the Park. Effective coverage in the entire Silvermine, Peers Cave and Redhill areas - all known hotspots - boiled down to 2 Rangers yesterday, one of whom spent less than 30 minutes on scene before leaving. Local crime fighting volunteers searched the area for 3 hours!!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/tablemountainwatch/

Short of an armed guard, I would consider Peers Cave a 'No Go' area for now.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

zoed

Post by zoed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 am

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Front page - good news. Hopefully something will be done!?
Attachments
peers_cave_silvermine_mugging.jpg
peers_cave_silvermine_mugging.jpg (68 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

MargheritaIntrona

Post by MargheritaIntrona » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:22 pm

So what are the "non-hotspot" hiking areas in Cape Town??

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm

I think you are safer on Lion's Head ; TM frontal etc. Areas that have generally recurring problems are all in close proximity to townships.

Justin

Post by Justin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

From TM Safety Group:

Just for awareness: another mugging near Peers Cave at around 3pm on Friday 3rd Nov. It occurred on path Sun Valley side near a whole lot of bushes and sandy area. Suspects descriptions: two dark skinned males, one definitely black other lighter skinned could be black or col. Height around 5ft 8in. One with some hair around 1cm long and dark navy blue pants and top. Female in her late twenties dog/s with her. Saw them 3 times. They asked the time on one occasion. No weapons seen. One pushed her to the ground and other took her rucksack. Nothing of value in besides her keys. She was shocked. Will report later today to SAPS. A rucksack and keys found today by a Valley North member appears to be hers.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Be advised: Namola now appears to be working in the whole of Cape Town. Use it. (until we have something better)