online gear shop

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Patrick

online gear shop

Post by Patrick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:26 pm

I found this online gear shop based in Spain called trekkinn.com). I was wondering if anyone has bought gear from them before and what your experience with them was. I'd also like to know if there was any difficulty in getting it though customs (I've heard that they don't think of climbing gear as sports equipment).
Any other feedback about buying gear online from overseas will also be appreciated :thumleft:

Forket

Re: online gear shop

Post by Forket » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Cheapest climbing gear ive seen in years :thumleft:

trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/ofertas@&ffamilia=3026

Jasperb

Post by Jasperb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:45 am

Hey!,

I actually ordered some shoes and a harness from them. I should get my order between the 21st-26th Oct.

Will let you know about customs etc. Paid half the price I would have paid at that other online scamming website.... Mountain mail ... something.

only paid R180 for posting, you can go with DHL but then it costs the same as if you had to buy the gear local, normal postage just takes a few weeks longer.

Will post again as soon as I receive my order.

Overide

Post by Overide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:29 am

Please keep us up to date, I was looking at purchasing quick draws and a rope from overseas. Also worked out like 3k cheaper just was not sure of custom fees and all that

gwrightjhb

Post by gwrightjhb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:25 am

Seems like there are a lot of negative reviews about Trekkinn. -rustpilot.com/review/trekkinn.com?stars=1

Jasperb

Post by Jasperb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:30 am

Looked at the reviews, 12% bad reviews out of 5000+ reviews. Meh, I'll take my chances.

Anyway will keep you guys up to date.

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Guys,

All the answers and more here :arrow: Explain the price differential

See also:
- Explain the price differential
- Import pricing vs. local
- Import tax on sport goods?
- La Sportiva Gandalf

LOL there is comment there from me stating "... the Rand to the Dollar has not always been 6.90 and... " I'm laughing about the exchange rate :shock:

Please do let us know what happens when your orders arrive :thumleft:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Jasperb

Post by Jasperb » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 am

Hi Guys,

Just an update, My order arrived in SA today, now I just have to wait for the South African Post office :|

Overide

Post by Overide » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 am

Jasperb wrote:Hi Guys,

Just an update, My order arrived in SA today, now I just have to wait for the South African Post office :|
No import duties? Could you maybe pm me a break down of the costs you paid?

dwr

Post by dwr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:46 am

Some friends and I have bought a lot from this site, shoes harnesses, quick draws and cams all arrived in perfect condition with very low import costs. All products are the proper stuff. It's is a bit of a ball ache as they sometimes don't have stock.and you have to wait. But on average it takes a month to arrive, and is fully traceable along the journey.....just don't rely on the post office to notify you that it has arrived. Check yourself, have never recieved a arrival notice from them....happy shopping

dwr

Post by dwr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 am

P.s. they also sell other outdoor stuff....diveinn sells scuba gear, and there are other, just can't remember the different branches....Check it out

Forket

Post by Forket » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:22 am

So is this then the cheapest place to get general climbing gear in SA?

eT

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:49 am

Forket wrote:So is this then the cheapest place to get general climbing gear in SA?

eT
This company is in Spain not SA

Forket

Post by Forket » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:05 pm

yeah, just like the americans importing gear and selling it here, same concept, foreign gear sold to South Africans , just this time its cheaper than supporting the local foreigners

Jasperb

Post by Jasperb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 am

Another update, so my gear is at customs in JHB and they informed me that I should receive the goods at my post office in about another week.

Jasperb

Post by Jasperb » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:41 am

Hi Guys,

My gear was cleared at customs this morning and is on its way from JHB to PTA. I should be able to collect later this week latest early next week.

So here is the breakdown.

I placed the order on the 21st of October it landed in SA on the 25th of October, sat at customs up until the 15th of November. I should hopefully get it by end of the week.

Here is what I paid:

Black Diamond momentum ds steel / lava l-xl Ref:(BD651065STELLXL1)
Price: R631.95

Ocun rebel lu black / grey eu 43 Ref:(2429-9)
Price: R1030.95

Shipping: R180

Customs: R494.21 ( they told me over the phone this morning that this is what I will pay for customs/duties etc when I collect)

Total: R2337.11

I think it's worth it, just need a bit of patience.

Jasperb

Post by Jasperb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:36 am

Got my gear yesterday. Will definitely use Trekkinn again.

Overide

Post by Overide » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:38 am

Hi Jasperb,

Do you have an idea of what the same gear would of cost locally?

I see there is a place in Somerset West that sells the shoes you bought at double the price

Overide

Post by Overide » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:40 am

Nevermind, stupid question see it would of cost you around 3k to buy local, seems like a win in my books

McJagger

Post by McJagger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:15 am

Just some more feedback on buying online

Got 10 Wildcountry Astro Draws for R1550 plus shipping R250 plus R310 tax equals R211 per draw.
And one 70m Tendon 9,7 for 1150 plus 500 plus 230 tax total 1880.

Total saving i guess is about R 1400 - R 1800

Note both items where on sale and I ordered and paid mid November and received the items in Mid Jan.

So if you patient and keep your eyes open for a good sale its well worth the wait!

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:42 am

Hey Arnold, sorry I know this is an old thread, but did you have any payment issues when you ordered?
I've been trying to order some stuff from the site with my credit card with no luck...

Did you use PayPal or something?

Cool but I hope I can get it to work! They have some fantastic deals on there!! :afro:
Cheers
Gerhard

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

Hey all, just as a follow up. I ordered some items from Trekkinn end of July.
An OR foray GTX jacket
Mammut tech top
Sea to summit gaitors

Everything totalling to R3000 (shipping was R176)

So they we're very helpful, kept in contact with me and the parcel very quickly made it's way to Joburg where it was scanned on 16Aug.

That's where the joy stopped.
For the next almost 3 months I couldn't get ANY info out of the post office. Phoned them pretty much every day (most of the time no one answers the phone)

Friday (6 Oct) I finally spoke to someone who were willing to look for it at Cape Mail Hub. Her name is Odette.
So she found the package and I'm going to go collect it today (hopefully)

The customs duty on top of that is R1936!! Which is 64% of the purchase price! Wow. We just keep on winning in SA.
So in the end it doesn't work out cheaper... at least it's still in line with what similar stuff costs here... but you have more choice... I guess.

Anyways. Just thought i'd put it out there. Keep all of those factors in mind when considering online purchases...
Cheers
Gerhard

Stefan Smeda

Post by Stefan Smeda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 pm

You paid so much because you ordered clothing. There is a 30% duty on any clothing to protect the south african textile industry. So if your invoice was for R100, then you had to pay vat on that (14%) + the clothing duty (30%) + a customs clearing fee (Leaving this one out, but probably around R30 regardless of the value of the goods purchased) + Shipping (depends on size and weight).

So, your R100 order is now R100+R14+R30 = R144 (x Clearing fee and shipping). If you just ordered hardware or electronics it would be closer to R114. Customs are stupid-slow in this country with throughput times.

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Stefan, yea it's even more than that. It pretty much works out to: (x = purchase price)
x10% = y
x45% = z
x + y + z = a
a14% = b
a + b = c
c – x = Total Fees

So bottom line: You end up paying around 76% of your purchase price!! I was lucky since the gaitors went through as accessories (so I scored some on them) but it would have been even more if they ruled it as clothing :(
Cheers
Gerhard

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Clothing is 40% import duty, then VAT on top of that total.
So original price advertised overseas is say, R100.
Then you pay 40% on top, totalling R100*1.4 = R140.
Then VAT (and handling) is added (VAT at 14% and handling is about 1%).
So we take the R140*1.15 = R161.
So moral of the story...You will pay about 61% higher on clothing items...or as a safe bet, anything that resembles clothing.
Many a peep in the MTB world has been caught out this way without doing their proper research beforehand.

Sometimes it works out when you get a really good sale overseas, not your typical South African 10 to 20% off sale.