Any climbers in Lusaka, Zambia?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
PeteH

Any climbers in Lusaka, Zambia?

Post by PeteH » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Hey all,
I'm from the UK but I'm moving to Lusaka for six months to a year. From searching around I gather the climbing prospects in Lusaka, and Zambia in general, are minimal, but what I'm hoping is that maybe there will be someone there who has built themselves a training board (or is thinking about doing so!) and might be interested in a training buddy!

Any leads, no matter how tenuous, welcome!

Pete.

Willem

Re: Any climbers in Lusaka, Zambia?

Post by Willem » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi Pete
Michiel, my brother, is an occasional climber and recent Lusaka immigrant. He is currently in SA but will be back early-August. Sent you a PM with his details.
Willem

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 am

I worked in Chingola and Solwezi last year - I can quite easily say that, aside from the occasional boulder by the side of the road, there is very little rock on that side of the country. The only mountains in the country are around the Malawi border, Lusaka is in a very flat area. That being said - climbing the massive ant hills and trees can be quite fun...
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

PeteH

Post by PeteH » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Well, I've been here four months now and thankfully I've found some rock and also some other climbers! Just posting this in case anyone else googles "zambia climbing" and gets discouraged like I did.

I still can't find any evidence of any previous routes/crag development in Zambia, but so far we've found:
- A very minor "local" crag forty minutes from Lusaka, maybe 10m high in places, some fun little routes, nothing hard.
- A 30m limestone crag, with waterfall and plunge pool beside, with dripping stalactites, caves, cracks, and faces - all just about vertical or slightly overhanging. This is just over an hour from Lusaka, somewhat off the beaten track but technically roadside (depending on your definition of a road!) This crag is about 100m long and has great potential for development.
- Some boulder-strewn hills near Kapiri Mposhi; tonnes of bouldering, some ~25m faces, cracks, offwidths. Haven't climbed here yet.
- Granite mounds - similar to those in Malawi - on the Great East Road towards Chipata. Haven't climbed here yet.
- Rumours and rumours and rumours - and some promising photographs - of potential rock near/on multiple waterfalls elsewhere in Zambia.

Watch this space. I'm putting together a website to document findings so far and what we manage to establish. I'm in Zambia for a year only, but if I get this information out there it might encourage others to explore a bit more and develop these crags further.

If anyone wants further info feel free to PM me, I don't browse on here much.

Cheers,
Pete.

AdrianT

Post by AdrianT » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Last year I flew a charter from Lusaka to South Luangwa which is an easterly direction. There are mountains, but few vertical cliff faces. I can send you photos if you wish, or post here. I've also driven up to the north west twice now and there isn't much happening that side either.

However, the north east part of Zambia has some sweet waterfalls, and hence cliffs. Kalambo Falls is 221m. Go to Google images and search for northern Zambia waterfall. You will find some steeps...

Good luck,
Adrian

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U1thhdzB1LM/V ... BFalls.jpg

Rhett

Post by Rhett » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Peter,

We just moved to Lusaka. I have two small kids both of whom climb. We met up with some other climbers from their school and went looking for crags last weekend. I think we found the crag you posted about that is about 1 hr from town (our friends were following a guide to find it). It looks very nice, with good routes for children as well as some more challenging stuff, although we arrived too late to do any climbing.

It would be great if we could perhaps go out together, if you don't mind, because it would help to know how to get up to the top and where to fix the ropes. Perhaps later we can think of bolting some routes.

Rhett

MLangley

Post by MLangley » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi All,

I am due to move to Lusarka in the coming months and very keen to keep my climbing up. Would anyone like to meet up?
I am orginally British, but moved to RSA and now moving again to Zambia.

Cheers

Matthew

Elena3

Re: Any climbers in Zambia?

Post by Elena3 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey!

I am moving to Zambia soon and I am very keen to keep up climbing. I will based near Ndola. I am from the UK and I will be moving to RSA for two months and then Zambia in January/February 2018. Would anyone like to meet up and/or offer advice as to where to climb, climbing groups and equipment (rope, quickdraws) to bring? I mainly do sports climbing and bouldering. I have done a bit of trad.

Many thanks,
Elena

Elena3

Re: Any climbers in Zambia?

Post by Elena3 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey!

I am moving to Zambia soon and I am very keen to keep up climbing. I will based near Ndola. I am from the UK and I will be moving to RSA for two months and then Zambia in January/February 2018. Would anyone like to meet up and/or offer advice as to where to climb, climbing groups and equipment (rope, quickdraws) to bring? I mainly do sports climbing and bouldering. I have done a bit of trad.

Many thanks,
Elena

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Ok