Climbing with kids

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Juanhein

Climbing with kids

Post by Juanhein » Tue May 21, 2019 6:51 pm

I would like to know where I can take my kids to climb in the Western Cape. We are from Somerset West. We would like to do top rope climbing, with easy access to the crag, and access to set up the top rope would be a bonus.

Undercling

Re: Climbing with kids

Post by Undercling » Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 pm

As in setting up the top-rope manually without someone leading the pitch first? If that's your speed I'd probably say Kleinmond , has a number of good climbs it's possible to scramble around to the top of with lot's of options. It's also really easy to do that at Higgovale Quarry but you don't have too many options there , I'd say like 3 routes for beginner kids. But hey there's always City Rock in Cape Town for you to top rope to your hearts content + I find it to be a good place to introduce people to the sport without scaring them

Stefan Smeda

Post by Stefan Smeda » Fri May 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Juan the Hottentots Holland mountain club has a meet this coming Sunday to go climb at Kleinmond. Beginner friendly.

Details are here: https://sites.google.com/site/mcsahot/upcoming-meets

BrendanSterley

Post by BrendanSterley » Tue May 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi Juan,

CityROCK in Paarden Eiland has excellent Top Rope Climbing for kids – Here the child is able to climb if he/she has someone to do the necessary rope work for belaying. Parents are allowed to belay their child if they have passed the “Belay test” which will ensure that they have the necessary skills. The belay test is free of charge.
Parents who are not climbing do not need to pay an entry fee but do need to fill out a Waiver form.

For more info you can visit https://cityrock.co.za/capetown/kids/

Have a great day,
Brendan