Quantcast
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Black Diamond Boa
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:03 pm 

Hi,

Am considering picking up a BD Boa from MMO soon.

http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/inde ... ductId=844

I recalling seeing at least two climbers carrying either the Boa or the Boa duffel at Bronkies crag - the removable tarp looks like a sweet idea. I currently use a 26L daypack and seperate rope bag for my carrying needs and the Boa concept looks like a more pragmatic and convenient solution.

If any one has got any feedback regarding the Boa ( either negative or positive ) please share.

Specifically I would be interested in the carrying ( and climbing ) ability of the pack to handle a day out sport climbing ( 1hr max walk in ). Would I be able to stuff the following into the bag:

* 60m x 10.2mm rope
* Harness
* Shoes
* 14 quickdraws
* 4-6 lockers
* 4-6 slings
* 3L hydration bladder
* Waterproof jacket
* Insulation layer - Something compact like the Capestorm Dragons Tooth vest
* 2-3 energy bars and some biltong perhaps
* Cellphone, wallet, keys and route guide
* Headlamp and small first aid kit
* Helmet ( probably pushing it - maybe strapped to the outside? )

Also, for multipitch routes - how well does the Boa strap down and carry while seconding?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Post subject: www.trailspace.com
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 am 

Paul, have a look at http://www.trailspace.com/gear/black-diamond/boa/. Unfortunately they do not have a user review of the product yet, but there are three other reviews from outdoor/climbing websites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:16 am 

looks like a nice bag but ifu ask me it looks a bit small
i use a 45 litre bag andeverything fits in nice and snuglyi think going smaller than 45 would not work so well

i carry
60 m rope
14draws
a hoodie
2 litres of water
food and snacks for a day
climbing shoes
a couple of biners
3 slings
2M utility cord
chaclk bag
and basic first aid
route guide
and car keys wallet ans cellphone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:49 am 

I have used a BOA Duffel to good effect for sport climbing. It does everything that other rope bags claim to do & would easily carry all your kit. I would even go so far as to say that if you have filled it & still have additional kit, then you aren't going sport climbing but are going on an expedition! :wink:

Sure it is not a good trad bag & if you are planning major hike ins it is not the best suited bag, but in it's application it is better then most. My suggestion is: go to a decent climbing shop- no mail order system crap & either put all your kit in it, or put similar kit in the shop in it- then you can see if it will suit your purposes & suits you. Naturally this requires a \"real\" gear supplier who you will hopefully support if they help you out. That's just the right way to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:17 am 

The Boa is okay. My major criticism:

Damn right uncomfortable on a tough, long walk in. Stick to using it with crags that have a drive-trhu.
Not the best to climb with, tends to move around.
On multi-pitch routes the bag becomes a nuisance especially when getting things in and out of it, without spilling half the bags contents down the side of a mountain.
No hip support (this in my opinion would make it a great bag.)

My advice, a good 40L - 45L pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:45 am 

I have the Boa Duffel ... not great

It has no waist straps so its very heavy on the shoulders and has no padding on the back, so if you dont pack properly you end up with quick draws and other hard gear sticking into your back. I would'nt recommend it, i'm going to revert to a normal backpack soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:40 am 

Sounds like the last two guys use it as a large backpack. Interesting :wink:

Ok if that is your intended use then look at an Alpine backpack.

Rather compare it to all the other ROPEBAGS on the market & make your decision based on that. Unless of course you actually need an Alpine Pack you can climb with- in which case the rope often ends up on the outside, because such a huge pack would be terrible to climb with.

Good luck making your decision. If it really is for sport climbing then base your decision on that & forget about climbing with it. Somewhere along the line you are going to have to figure out what you will generally use it most for. Have fun deciding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:26 pm 

Oldsmelly. Spot on. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:12 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.

\"When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.\"

Old Smelly:

Yeah - you spot on regarding using the right tool for the job. It seems I was hoping for a one size fits all solution where one does not exist.

In truth the long walk-in and multipitch sport route will be the exception to the rule. My regular climbing partner owns a BD 45L trad pack and we plan to use that in combination with a lightweight BD 12L for situations were the Boa would not be suitable.

I will definately take up your advice and bring along my gear to fit the pack instore.

Cheers,

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm 

last point ... i only use it as sport pack ie, rope, draws and harness. Its still very uncomfortable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:06 am 

Well you certainly seem to have a preference when it comes to gear Para...but BD stuff is cool, so I am sure you will come to a good solution.

As far as uncomfortable to carry I refer to my previous point- compare it with other rope bags available. DMM had a very good, if expensive, ropebag that also had shoulder straps, but it would also be problematic if really packed up. Besides this the fact is that ANY pack that is jammed with gear & improperly packed will inflict itself on you in a memorable way :? . Anyone who has ever hastily stuffed their trad rack into their pack & hiked off can testify to this. :D

If you pack with the rope towards your back then you can increase the comfort levels. Another suggestion is to moan to BD & not to us & suggest building a boulder pad into the base of the thing :lol:

Does anyone know of a better ropebag/ backpack for this application (sport/ walk in comfort & possible climb with?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:22 pm 

Hi Oldsmelly,

Yeah - BD make some good stuff. I would like to think that I am not a slave to any particular label though. It just seems like BD have a greater presence in the local climbing pack niche.

I still think I'm going to go with the Boa. It's got a PE framesheet ( no stay though ) so it \"should\" be a bit more comfy than the Boa duffel. Seems to have enough room for my needs. The convenience of the entry method and detachable tarp are huge sport specific advantages. No coiling or special packing required. (Almost) Idiot proof.

As far as other packs go. This is what I have considered/shopped around for:

* Please note that I in no way consider myself an authority. I have lead sport with a 12L and seconded with a 26L and 45L ( compressed ) pack in the 15 to 20 grade range. Please also note that prices quoted are as per the suppliers website or personal purchase - don't quote me on them! Also I don't work for MMO (they just happen to post prices online) - but hey if the guys at MMO wanna throw some free gear my way I wont say no! :D

BD Jackal

My regular climbing partner picked up the BD Jackal 45L. Relatively lightweight (1.4kg) very \"clean\". The suspension and carry is consistent with the \"goldilocks effect\" - not to much, not to little, just right. If you carry the rope under the lid (it has a special strap for this purpose) you can fit a mountain of gear into the main compartment. Only criticsm would be that the carry handle strap broke shortly after purchase - the pack was subsequently returned and replaced. R 950.00 from Drifters.

BD Sphynx 42L

Similar to the Jackal, though the Jackal seems to have a slightly beefier and more forgiving suspension. Rope straps under lid. Hydration compatible. R750.00 MMO

BD Sidewinder 30L

PE framesheet ( no stay ). Hydration compatible. Rope straps on the outside of the pack. Clamshell opening which needs a little getting used to. 3 point haul system. Hydration compatible. 0.98kg R 650.00 MMO

Osprey Exposure 36

Seems like a sweet pack: 1.2kg, 36L, streamlined, daisy chain and rope fastening straps, 3 point haul system. Comfortable carry for about 10kg or so. This would be the pack I would strongly consider if I would be doing longer walk ins and or multipitch routes. Hydration compatible. R 900.00 Only available through thecairn.co.za as far as I know.

Check a review here : http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... eview.html

K-Way Ridge 40L

Cape Union Mart's idea of a climbing pack. Much cheaper than the packs above. 1.4kg. Pack is nicely streamlined. Similar suspension to the BD Sphynx - a PE framesheet and single aluminium stay. Suspension seems very stiff. No rope strap under the lid. Not hydration compatible ( if thats important ). R400.00 Cape Union Mart.

BD Quantum 45

New line of packs from BD. Don't know if Ram Mountain are bringing in the 45L. The entire line has been getting favourable reviews on the net. Seems like BD has managed to offer a comfy ride for the approach and decent climbing performance. I'm not at a stage where I'm doing back country routes so I can't justify the purchase no matter how good/bad it might be. Hydration compatible. Quantum 45 R1800.00 (Estimate) 1.85kg 45+10L, removable lid / suspension / hip belt.

Check a review here : http://www.sierradescents.com/reviews/p ... uantum.php