It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Silent Partner
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 pm 
Anybody got any comment or stories on the silent partner, for those of you not knowing what im talking about, check out http://www.wrenindustries.com/silentpart.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 pm 
Costs an arm and a leg compaired to other solo devices but is in my opinion the best out there. Mine has not let me down yet :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:20 pm 
The Silent Partner will lock off no matter your body position meaning you can climb overhangs or face (slab is less safe - see below) with some comfort. The Soloist will not always lock off when you are upside down due to it's mechanism. I have not used teh Soloist but if it works anything like the Gri-gri then I would recommend the Soloist for face climbing and the Silent Partner for overhangs. The SP works on speed, so the faster you fall the quicker it locks off, hence it will be great for overhangs and less so for face, but still works well (nice for multi-pitch). Because it requires the speed of the fall to lock off, slab might present a problem, but backup knots will always lock off if you do not reach the neccessary speed. Mine works great and would defintly reccommend one, but buy yourself a decent rope as your old 10.5mm will just lock up on you while climbing.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:48 pm 

Are there any local (Cape Town) distributors for Silent Partners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:55 pm 

Was chatting to someone yesterday who owns a Silent Partner and he recommended not using a rope larger than 10.2 in diameter. If I remeber correctly (and don't quote me on this) the smallest rope one should use was 9.8mm
Silent partners can be bought online from the manufactuers website (I dont know of anyone who stocks them in SA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:00 am 
try Don at CityROCK. he can order you one from the States.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:45 pm 
Don rocks, went down to cape town for an intervarsity, and he sorted me out with equipment, a lot cheaper than I could get it up here in Joburg