Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:23 pm 

What’s the nearest bouldering spots to Strand/Somerset West? Are there any known routes towards Grabouw on Sir Lowry’s pass or towards Gordons Bay? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:06 pm 

I've heard of bouldering near Steenbras dam... around the braai area (I think). Next best would be just before Kleinmond, there are boulders strewn all over.

I would also recommend checking out Steenbras kloof for bouldering spots.
Let us know if you find anything :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:03 pm 

I went climbing once at the wall in Somerset-West when it was still active and a local told me there where some place in somerset west as well as some deep water soloing near gordensbay. But he just did not want to tell me the locations. Dont know why. This summer i am going to make a mission along the coast untill Koel Bay and Rooi Els to look for some Deep Water Soloing place or any form of climbing. Getting a see kayak and all. Will everybody posted of any discoveries!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:42 am 

Hendrik, my pal, perhaps you should just leave the deepwater soloing for now. You've been watching too many movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:05 am 

Might find this useful Steenbras River Gorge map

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:28 am 

ha ha. I know. My head is in the clouds. Somedays i feel i can climb a 30 but then i cant even make it up a 21. Just ment some exploring. Dont want to climb 60ft clifs! My friend has got a see kayak so just want to go paddle a bit and see if there is anything interesting out there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:20 pm 

Well, coming from The West Side and having scoured the surrounding mountains by foot, by air and by telescope I can sadly report that I have found sweet stuff all climbing and no decent bouldering to speak of either. I'm still convinced that there must be some good stuff out there somewhere. The place is surrounded by mountains for goodness sakes!

Apparently one can do some \"deep water soloing\" at crystals pools which is up the Steenbras River Gorge on the way out to Cool Bay. It makes a good walk and there is some fun kloofing up there in any event.

Don't let that pussy jeanpant get you down guys... get out there and find that stuff!

Oh and if anybody knows of or finds some good climbing around the area then please let us all know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:50 pm 

Yes Rob, you just go hang around \"Cool Bay\" and everything will be OK. At least i now know not to take you seriously...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 pm 

According to my knowledge the area has some climbing but none of it worth a big mission.

The Deep water soloing is just after Gordens bay going towards Bettys Bay. I think the parking spot is just after the turn off to Steen Brass pumping station. Its not great, only about 6m high but worth a stop if your heading that way anyway on a hot day.

We found about 2 boulders a Steen brass dam with a couple of problems on it. Drive up to the pumping station, and through the gate, then turn left away from the dam wall, the boulders are on the right hidden among trees.

I'm not sure if there anything up the steen brass kloof ( aka crystal pools ) but the pools are awesome with some nice jumps. But be careful, people die here quite often, its a bit of a drinking hole for stellies students.

Theres also some boulding at cool bay, about 4 problems, one of which is a pretty cool 6b isch and its a nice beach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:58 am 

I have been working on various boulders in the area. There are a few that have been worked on in the past and I notice down at Koel Baai (the surfing spot) there are a few worked problems down at the beach end by the caves.
There is a cluster of big boulders below Oliphants Kop past the Bot Gardens and past Porter Ridge. A 15min walk to the cluster.
I would not recommend \"deep\" water soloing on kloofs overhanging the fynbos darkened waters unless you have vettoed the depth of hidden demons below the surface... check out crystal pools up the Steenbras river or lower Palmiet by the boat house, there is a slab there where one could investigate at your own risk!!!
If anyone needs directions stop in at our Shop in Village Center Bettys' Bay... Jackazz. We have a map of the area and will gladly point you in the right direction.
Betty's Bay is part of the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve and access to certain areas is \"residentially\" sensitive, so please venture with respect, as we could loose future use of potential venues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:08 pm 

Jeanpant, you're right bru, you should never take me seriously;)

A couple of us went to see if we could find anything round the back of the Helderberg and the connected mountain ranges last weekend. Small potential of some sport routes on a crag at the back of the Helderberg but looks like too much effort for what it's worth. Sadly, nothing else to report....