Quantcast
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Resole/buy new?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:16 pm 

Hi,

I've got an old pair of Bufo Spiders I've been climbing in for the last 4-5 years (doing both sport and trad). They're by no means top of the line shoes, but they've done the job admirably. Unfortunately the soles are wearing a bit thin now and rigidity is long gone.

I've heard there's a company called Durasole who do good quality resoling. Has anyone has had any experience with them? Is it worth resoling from a cost point of view (i.e. is the quality decent enough to extend the life of the shoe to another 4-5 years) or should I be looking at investing in a pair of new shoes?

Hope someone out there can offer some advice!

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:40 pm 

Hi Sam,

my 2 cents is get new shoes and get those resoled. The use the bufos for easy stuff and long routes as they will fit your feet nicely. The new pair get small so they perform well on the harder/thinner stuff!

As I recall the bufos where soft even when new. There is a lot of better stuff out there.

Without starting a flaming war, I would avoid synthetic shoes unless they are lined. IMHO unlined synthetic sweats like mad, and contrary to popular belief also stretches when wet. Leather is still the shiz!

Happy climbing!
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:46 pm 

Firstly I am amazed that your Bufo Spiders have lasted this long.

After a resole you will get some rubber back but it does not add much rigidity to the sole as this comes from the mid-sole portion of the shoe.
You might also keep in mind that the upper portion of the shoe is now quite
old and will most likely not outlast another 4-5 years even with new rubber.
Hopefully you have not waited too long to resole and that the rand of the shoe has worn right through and the shoe is damaged.

Consider looking at some new shoes for sure. They are certainly not the cheapest option but you will be happier with a firmer fit. Take a look at the new Montrail range. Really nice shoes for descent prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:50 pm 

Hey Sam

I agree with what Brussel sprouted.

Buy new ones and resole the old ones!

Use the resoles for long easy days out or for in the gym, and save your new ones for your hard projects, redpoints, atc...ermm, I mean etc.

Cheers
Jono

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:05 pm 

Hey!

If resoling is the option, go with Rockfrog Resoles. Danny Pinkas does a mean resole, plus the work lasts very long, as far as resoles go...
You can even choose between Vibram(La Sportiva) or Stealth C4(FiveTen) rubber, probably the best rubber available nowadays...

But I would like to know if anybody does resoling with the Extacy rubber found on all Saltic footwear?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 pm 

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. Ja, the Bufo's have definitely seen some milage but they're comfy and well worth hanging onto for longer easier trad days (and until I can afford another pair of shoes!). Pity Rockfrog Resoles are in Joburg...but will find out about resoling with them anyway.

Thanks,

Sam