It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:19 am 

I have been training the last month or so , but i only started climbing about 2weeks ago. My main training went into pull-ups (as i knew i would start climbing with my brother and few of his friends) but my brother also build this home made training facility with a few holds and bars to use your fingers with. I have been using the holds and trying new techniques but still spend a lot of time on pull-ups. Is this wise? or should i use weights when doing pull-ups because i have come to a point where one set consists of 45 reps??? i don't know what the difference would be with extra weights but would like to hear someones opinion on this. I have also found that by doing sets of 25+ reps pull-ups my strength has increased really fast .I started doing one-arm lock-offs with both arms(although i have found that my joints are not yet strong enough so i stopped doing lock-offs until my joints can handle the weight) . I would like to know what different gains i will get by doing less reps with my pull-ups but with more weight and so how much more weight?? because i am not going to need to pull more than 74kg( my body weight) am i?. Please i need advise don't know what i should do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 am 

You need to get on a diet of whey protein and creatine. The only way man, the only way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:58 am 

Uhhhh pardon me, but if you are doing 45 rep pullups you are in olympic gymnast category.

You are therfor either unhumanly strong or you are not doing it correctly. All said though, your strenght won't count for sh!t if you don't have good technique.

Get out and climb on rock as often as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:07 pm 

:shock: :shock:
Quote:
because I have come to a point where one set consists of 45 reps???
:shock: :shock:

Don't you mean 4.5 pull-ups, or 45 \"push-ups\" rather.. :wink:

Weight training will help you, but try doing muscle specific exercises or get your core muscles super strong by doing Yoga or Pilates. Obviously you must spend a lot of time climbing to improve your finger strength as well as your endurance & technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm 

wild child, apply the breaks my man... i spend allot of time training beginner rockclimbers and and have heard too many horror stories about torn tendons and messed up joins and ligaments from super keen guys like yourself. the problem is that if you don't ease yourself into climbing, you can end up, well, broken too soon. the best would have been if you were climbing from a very young age, then start talking about finger or campus boards. if you grow up using the climb-specific muscles ect regularly, then you'll have what it takes to do deadhang on fingertips ectect. in my opinion that's the secret of the insane level of climbing being done by the masses overseas!

but if you can do 45 pull ups in one go :shock: you can be my teacher, please!!!!! show me the way, oh jedi knight :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm 

You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information:
Which arm are you doing the 45 pullups on? Left or right?

Jokes aside, back in the day, I did lots of pullups, and weighted myself down so the max I could do was approximately 10. This results in you getting nice and strong and having a good chance of getting an elbow (or other) injury. My elbow is still dodgy ten years on.

My current theory is the best training for climbing is climbing. Ignore the weight and go crank so hard steep boulder problems / routes to get fit(ter).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:29 pm 

Don't use creatine while climbing as it increases your muscle pump which is what you are trying to avoid(in your forearms) while climbing.
It also causes you to retain water and thus increases your weight which can ruin the power to weight ratio theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:29 pm 

Wild Child, almost top roped a 24 on his first outing, can do a fews sets of 45 pull ups. Bulsh!tter or the next Chris Shama ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:57 pm 

ja not even tarzan can do 45 (proper) pull-ups. i'm smelling a wild pothead here or are you kris swarma?

please don't waste our time with stupid posts to get wow!s or whatever. if you're for real then wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:57 pm 

Something has the horrible smell of a troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:22 am 

@RW:
Trolls can smell pleasant - you just have to roast them slowly over open coals, and coat regularly in vinegar and garlic. And, of course, a pinch of salt. :wink:

@WildChild
Too many talented (or not-so-talented) beginners train enthusiastically. blow a tendon, and never return to the sport. My suggestion: dump the weights and get (s)mileage on rock - this will develop tendons and muscle memory. If you want more, hire a trainer to develop technique. Work on strength later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:31 am 

hey people, stop hatin' on a brother. y'all just scared he be tickin' all yer projects.