Quantcast
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:29 am 

I'm missing some gear left by my second on the first pitch of Oddshouters Outing at The Ledge on TM. This happened on Friday (25th Jan) and I went up a few days later to go and retrieve it, but it was gone. If you have it, or know who does, please contact me so that I can arrange to get it back. It is a solid-shaft #2.5 Friend, a short blue and orange knotted sling and two karabiners, one straight-gate and one bent-gate. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 pm 

I hope i am wrong but i am not surprised to see that there has been no positive response to this email ... sadly it seems that there are some climbers who subscribe to the view that \"if its left on the mountain its fair game\" ... pathetic actually. Sometimes inexperienced seconds can't remove gear with the result that it gets left behind. This does not mean that the leader has relinquished ownership or abandoned the gear with no intention of returning to collect it. You don't acquire ownership simply because you have possession so do the right thing and if you have this gear, and you know it is being sought, give it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 am 

Finders Keepers. If gear gets left in the hills, it's fair game. If you don't want to lose your gear, then don't leave it behind in a PUBLIC place. I wouldnt be crying over losing a solid-shaft #2.5 Friend, a short blue and orange knotted sling and two karabiners. Go buy yourself some decent gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 am 

perhaps you need \"the light\" to shine on you 8a ... its obvious from your response that you have yet to attain the stated aim of climbing as described in your quote ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:46 pm 

Personal judgments aside, I think Ross should have been more careful with his gear and checked the second's rack when they were done. Why should someone else bring it back for them? I still stand by the fact that the gear was left in a public place, and therefore, it's finders keepers. Why should someone else waste their time to meet up with Ross and return his solid stem 2.5 friend and tatty slings? Let's just say that I have my suspicions as to why the gear was left behind...most likely in a puff of smoke 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:03 am 

\"a solid-shaft #2.5 Friend, a short blue and orange knotted sling and two karabiners, one straight-gate and one bent-gate\", thats litter. At least its not still up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:10 am 

8a_climber are you trying to say that you find a car parked in a public place and the owner has left the keys in the car you are allowed to take the car because it is in a public place and therefore it is finders keepers?

The correct thing to do if you find other peoples gear on the mountain would be to take the gear down(so that someone else won't steal it) and then put a notice on climb.co.za to tell the person whose gear it is that you found their gear and to give their gear back to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:17 am 

Quote:
8a_climber are you trying to say that you find a car parked in a public place and the owner has left the keys in the car you are allowed to take the car because it is in a public place and therefore it is finders keepers?

Yes. Correct you are. If you park your car and leave the keys, then you deserve to lose the vehicle. Finders keepers

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:28 am 

Quote:
Yes. Correct you are. If you park your car and leave the keys, then you deserve to lose the vehicle. Finders keepers

I am not sure if you are taking the mickey or not?

This kind of irrational logic then also applies that if a woman leaves her house door unlocked she deserves to be raped.

I don't find this kind of reasoning rational.

You need to put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you feel if you had forgotten some equipment on the mountain and went back to get it but someone had stolen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:02 pm 

great stuff guys...thanks for bringing entertainment back to the forum
8aDude you rock!
careful of the big falls you gonna take on other people's tatty old gear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:26 pm 

Lame troll, 8a_wanker. I'll be the dude walking off with your pack at the crag. And don't bother talking to me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]