Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: new crag in W cape
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:57 am 

awesome aweseom awesome is all I can say. Looks crazy steep, the new Wave Cave? This is just what we need, the existing sport crags in the W cape are 'tired' nothing new down there in year that really inspires, this looks to be the answer. If you need some help let me know! Looks like you'll be using every volt of the 36 you have in that overpowered drill of yours! Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:12 pm 

wow looks pretty mean. is it bad*ss enough (think clarke mountain) to get sharma and the boys to come and have a look? we need some 9a's in SA yeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:57 pm 

ideal venue for rock and road 2009?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm 

No need to get foreignors to open our routes... Plenty of SA talent capable...

Anyone have any idea's where it could be. Looks just like the hole only 10x bigger and steeper.... Well done Ben!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:32 pm 

The crag looked so rad the punters were clambering over each other to get a better view.
Heffalumps rool!!! 8) ...Fellahumps drool?... :roll: [/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:18 am 

I reckon Ben quarried the thing out of the mountain side, looks too steep to be natuarl, trust me I am a geologist. Wit til greenpeace heres about this, or worse the MCSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:38 am 

how many seffricans have climbed 9a? or even 8c for that matter? come on seriously, would be good if there are any lines of that grade to get us on the international hardcore map.

anyways just my 2c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:22 am 

Maybe its not geologically possible ? maybe turn the picture clockwise and Ben is just standing on the ground and placing a very low 1st bolt .haha , only kidding , looks awesome ..and if we can find routes that bring out the Sharma's of the world , heck im there to watch them in action ..can only do good for SA. ..now someone find some new routes in Gauteng :D ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:36 pm 

It's not a freaking new 'crag'. If anybody actualy read the article you would have realized that they are busy bolting one multipitch line that runs through 2 or more roofs. As the article states, the roof in the picture is a 100m off the deck.

I somehow don't think it will become the new Wave Cave...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:17 pm 

I remember reading somewhere that Ben was eyeing the Ben Heatlie area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:09 pm 

I hiked up to Ben Heacly (sp?). Awesome trad potential - looks protectable - but didn't see any amphitheatres of that scale. Also rock has a slightly different look to it. Any other idea's?

Jeanpant, not sure I follow your logic... Do you not consider Milner a 'crag'. People are willing to hike and do multipitch for quality lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:59 pm 

You guys say that the top climbers in SA have the talent to climb 9a or hard climbs at that grade well then do you think that this new or old crage or any other crag in SA has the potential for a hard grade like 9a? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:22 pm 

he ben dude why all the mystery around this crag? where and how mean is pretty much all we're curious about. would be awesome if there are lines breaking into the 9a territory.

ps: the roof below the eagle's nest at bronkies is pretty mean but whether the rock is any good and what grade lines there are remains a secret until the eagles are gone

Post subject: why the mystery?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 pm 

Leon and I have to keep it secret, because it's barely a 15 minute stroll from the parking lot, and if people knew where it was, there would be a hundred lines in no time. This would scare away the eagles, and we can't have that. Leon and I have a gentleman's agreement with them, but they are not currently open to further communication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:14 pm 

if people knew where it was, i'm sure that edmund hillary and wolfgang gullich would rise from the dead (no disrespect intended) to send the lines there...in fact, i've heard that their spirits reside there anyway, reincarnated as eagles...

Post subject: Re: why the mystery?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:54 pm 

rogojin wrote:
Leon and I have to keep it secret, because it's barely a 15 minute stroll from the parking lot, and if people knew where it was, there would be a hundred lines in no time. This would scare away the eagles, and we can't have that. Leon and I have a gentleman's agreement with them, but they are not currently open to further communication.

Ahh... those stellenbosch climbers up to their old shit again is it???

seriously, it probably is a good idea to keep it secret... stop the hordes from bolting those 9a mega roof lines. Especially if its just a stroll. Also, think of the eagles.

Its in tu toits kloof. *oops*