It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:41 pm 

Just been at the Silvermine Lower Crag, Cloud Nine Wall. There's two routes round the back on the right hand side, going to the same anchors - can anyone tell me which of these is Malcom Gowan's route 'My Precious', and what's the name and grade of the other?
For the record, Mike and I did (dogged) the one on the right - and found it well 'ard.
Ta,
H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:08 pm 

Hallam, where on earth are you talking about? Around the back of what?

Immediately right of the Cloud nine wall, kinda tucked in a cleft is 'My Preciousss' which goes up broken looking brown rock.

Twenty meters right again are two routes starting off a raised ledge and ending at the same anchors. The left of these is Blockhead 20 and the right is something I bolted opened by Jason Temple Forbes - Skywalker 23. Remember this is a JTF 23, it felt like solid 24 to me.

These the routes you asking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:21 pm 

Thanks Xmod (GH?),

The routes I'm referring to are the aforementioned 'My preciousss', that is indeed better described as being in an overhanging cleft than 'around the back' of the Cloud Nine wall and another, obviously more recent, route that goes up to the same chains. Guess you haven't seen it yet.

Am I right in thinking that 'My preciousss' is the route up the middle-ish of the broken face, and the newer mystery route is quite close to the arete on the left? Or is it the other way round?

Anybody else know the mystery route?

Ta, H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:13 pm 

Hmm Ja didnt check that on my last visit. My Preciousss steps of the ledge breaking left to slap the arete before following a break right again and finishes up left of the chains.

We looked at a line right of this that would go more or less straicht up to the chains that would definitely be really hard.

I must check it out next time.
Ja GH ek is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:58 am 

Thanks GH,

Very glad to hear the route up the middle that we tried is the mystery route - it felt bloody hard for 20! Mike dogged all the way up and I only managed it on toprope - not that that's saying very much.

\"Joe Bob says check it out.\" {obscure Deep South newspaper reference}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:26 pm 

I'm not sure of the name of the route,but it was opened by Sean Maasch at 22, athough the bouldery crux move did feel a bit harder than this!