Quantcast
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Trash in Rocklands
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:33 pm 

AWE COME-ON!!!! :?

We were in Rocklands this past weekend and we found a @#$% load of beer and plastic cooldrink bottles along the road as you walk into the Rocklands area. Me and my climbing partner each carried out two arm-fulls of bottles that we picked up along the road and at the old parking area, and we still didn't get everything.WTF?!?!?!?!

Also, it looks like the gate that used to be up by the car park was broken open, judging by the bend in gate (which is now lying next to the road in the bushes) and the broken pole onto which it was attached. For whatever reason this was done I guess no-one will know, but who can we put a little pressure on to have the gate fixed/replaced? Can anyone inform SanParks maybe or send me their contact info pls? I don't think (hope) it's climbers throwing their trash around, but the fact that the gate is not there makes it too easy for anyone to drive in and have a party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:52 pm 

You can bet your bottom dollar that the culprits are from that inbred little town, Heuningvlei. They drive up and down that road as they please and one of their members probaly also broke the gate when he i could not get in. They also like to chuck rubish out of their cars...

If it is not them, it is Clanwilliam locals, but it is definitely not climbers.

Post subject: 4x4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:43 pm 

My bet is it was some slick city folk in their shiny 4x4's wanting some adventure - no respect for the wild wild places. Saw the same sh1t happening at Truitjieskraal - had to pick some little snot neus's sweet papers up.

If you see it I recommend confronting the b@stards. Lets maintain our climbin image - for now both SANP and CN think that climbers aren't so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:59 pm 

The main culprits are the guys in the donkey carts, I've seen a few doing it and the spots where they chill/eat are full of crap and litter. spoken to some nature con people about it but it's a sensitive issue because the donkey people are part of the cultural drawcard of the area. someone needs to crack the whip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:49 am 

While you might find the odd 4x4 bonehead spreading litter in this area, they still don't frequent this spot and the road leading to Heuningvlei. I have personaly seen a bakkie full of locals chucking trash out as they drive along.

Together with the donkey cart clowns, they are responsible for the rubish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:53 pm 

Just got back from there. Ja, lots of trash. Saw a couple of local yokels driving through in a bakkie. Black Label bottles by the side of the Jeep Track etc. But a bit disconcerting, lots of pooh next to the start of some routes (Island sector) which can only be climbers.