Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:24 am 

Hi, I am flying out to Cape Town at the end of the week :) for my first experience of Cape Town and South Africa. (please dont ask why I took so long to make the trip! :oops: )

I would really like some help and advice on places to stay, and hopefully people to hang out with in the eve's and more over climb with, or point me in the direction of suitable guides during my stay.

I have done some lower grade UK outdoor trad climbs, but find myself climbing indoors weekly, on French Grades 5+/6b,6b

Would anyone on here have some time to provide some advice, contacts or anything else that would be useful to know :idea: .

Many Thanks
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:52 am 

Hi

You've come to the right place, try the routes section of this site for route info. You can also buy \"Western Cape Rock\" which is a bit out of date but will give you most of the sport routes in the western cape. \"The Ledge\" and \"Peninsular Rock(?)\" have a lot of the trad routes in and around Cape Town. For further afield, this website has trad guides for the cedarberg (a place you MUST visit if you have the time) and elsewhere.

There are 3 indoor walls in Caoe Town, City Rock (www.cityrock.co.za i think), the Mountain Club and at the University. There are also two walls in Stellenbosch, about 45 min from Cape Town, the Perfect wall and one at the University.

Cheers
Nic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:18 am 

Pete

- how long are you going to be in the Cape?
- are you looking to stay in Cape Town itself, or to travel to other Cape climbing destinations (e.g. Cedarberg, Montagu)
- what kind of accommodation are you looking for? CT has everything from camping to 6-star hotels

Nic's suggestion of CityRock is a good one. It's an active gym - you should be able get info, contacts, and possibly climbing partners. I suggest you swing by there on one of your first evenings in town.

If guiding is your thing, consider http://montaguclimbing.com, VentureForth and HighAdventure. I've never used them, but both employ highly capable staff. (Disclaimer: I have no personal interest in either company).

PS - I used to know a Phynancier called LondonPete. Any relation?

Post subject: City Rock
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:45 pm 

Just back from Cape Town m'self, wishing I'd made it to City Rock... does look amazing and is probably a good place to start from for hooking up with climbing buddies.

Have a good time... I'm off to play on a considerably smaller lump of sandstone. Lance