Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am 

Bought one recently, but can't seem how device is supposed to auto lock, and must the pulley in the middle be pulled back when belaying, when pulley is in the pulled back position can't give slack, only take in.

Has anyone used one before, http://www.climb.co.za/gear_lory.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 pm 

I've used an Eddy for over a year now as my primary belay device.

With a rope running through the device, and the device clipped to your harness with through a carabiner you should have the live end of the rope coming out of the opening on the top of the device furthest from the harness, and the dead end coming out the opening on the top of the device closest to your harness. The lever will be on the left side of the device and will be pulled up and toward you to release the locking mechanism, and the cam will also be on top of the device and can be pushed forward or pulled back.

The cam (pulley) on the device is what is responsible for locking the rope. It clicks backwards as the live end of the rope pulls on the device.

To feed rope, you need to push the cam forwards and hold it in while pulling on the live end of the rope.

The device will auto-lock if the rope is pulled through the device too fast, typically as a result of a fall, but my device will lock on a 10.3mm rope if I pull on the live end sharply whilst feeding rope.

To release the lock, pull back on the lever. If you pull too far and the rope moves too fast through the device, it will lock in the other direction. I.e. the cam will click forward and you will now need to push forward on the lever to release the rope. This is the primary advantage over the gri-gri in my opinion: you cannot drop a person by pulling the lever wide open as the device will lock again past a certain rope velocity.

On the negative side, I find feeding rope to the climber with the Eddy harder than with a Gri-gri.

On the positive side, the Eddy is significantly safer than the Gri-gri to use. The only possible way that I can see that you could drop someone is if you press the cam forward and hold it there as someone falls, and in experimenting even this seems unlikely to result in dropping someone as it would require very significant pressure to hold the cam in during a fall.

Another benefit is you can always keep a hand on the dead end of the rope while using the device, though I must admit I occasionally cheat on this when feeding rope.

Hope this helps!
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:34 pm 

!!??
You're doing something very wrong. I've used an Eddy before and it works very much like a GriGri.
Are you loading it the right way round?? The first thing I did with the Eddy was load the rope the wrong way round (it's opposite to the GriGri)

Have a read over the user manual again and then practice in a controlled enviroment with a dead weight on the end (or willing person :)
If you still can't get it right, go back to the store you bought it from and ask them to have a go (the sales person should know how to operate the device)

In case you don't have the instruction manual anymore, you can download it from here

Enjoy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 pm 

Hi

The Eddy is a very nice device, much more idiot proof than the Grigri. If I had to have someone who had never belayed before belay me I rather they used the Eddy than the Grigri.

However, you must be careful of using skinny ropes in the Eddy. It says it will lock on a 9.1mm rope, but in practice with my Joker it was very difficult to get it to lock, it behaved more like a Bug.

One thing I really dislike is that it when lowering someone who is pretty much straight above you the Eddy's position due to the way the rope runs throught it makes it difficult to use the handle as it tends to press up into your chest.

Cheers
Nic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:23 am 

Thanks for the reply, i think it is my rope, i've got a 9mm rope, althought they say it's for 9mm-11mm but find it difficult with 9mm to autolock.

When pulling the pulley backwards it locks but will not autolock if rope is run fast and free through.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 pm 

:thumleft: Must reply and say ,this is truly the best device i came across, been climbing now for a while with it, it's one thing to play around with it and another when you go out and test it with some weight on the rope, it just won't let go, autolocks, but it's actually straight foward how it works. Definitely Recommend.