Quantcast
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Upper Tonquani
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:01 pm 

Got GPS coords to get to the campsite + RD from saclimb. Need help finding a few reference climbs to orientate with the RD. Something like Fernkloof posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:50 pm 

Hello Heavy

Do yourself a real favour and get one of the route guides for sale at the MCSA (Jhb clubhouse is open on Wednesday nights). The guide will give a far more comprehensive list of climbs than on saclimb, and will also include topos.

Please also get a permit if you are not an MCSA member!

Anyway, the routes I use to locate others:
Start at the campsite (I assume you mean the one on the north (true left) of the river. If you stand at the point where the path leaves the campsite and drops down steeply into the kloof:
- Almost directly opposite you is short gully, a useful descent gully.
- right of this, you will see a prominent slab at right angles to the river facing east. This is home to The Moke (far left of the slab), Hyperadrenia (the crack in the center of the slab) and Donkerhoek recess etc at right of slab.
- Heading left of Short gully (downstream), you will see a point at which the cliff starts cutting back. On the ground at this point, is a 'built up' terrace. This is is the start of Broken Corner, and above you will see Red Corner.
- Walking downstream from this for about 50m, you will see a 5m or so waterfall. Just before this, is a slab with a thin, twin crack system up it. This is superramp.
- Going downstream further, you will find that a huge buttress sticks out of the cliff towards the river. A large chimney system leads up the upstream side of where the buttress joins the cliff - this is Last Rites.

Enjoy.
Andrew Porter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:41 am 

ok so thanks to nosmo i think it is a good idea to get a picture up. I indicated the stuff I know, think I know and figured from what andrew said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:57 am 

I feel so proud... :cheers: Unleash the era of picture posts on climbZA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:23 am 

nosmo for president!!!! :king:

Post subject: Much appreciated
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:49 pm 

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:58 pm 

Hyperadrenia is about 5m right of the moke, not as in the picture. Donkerhoek is about 7m right off this and Stone Needle is another 7m further right.
Please put the pictures in the wiki so that people can have easy access to them in future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:30 pm 

Nice google shot. How about sharing the google placemarks too. That would be really useful. Same for the wigwam post. I was wondering if there's a way to put together a Google Earth SA climbing layer with all these placemarks on. Perhaps the placemarks could be kept centrally on the Wiki for downloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:51 pm 

oops, seems i stuffed my scales of thinking up there a bit. Got the wrong corner. Ok I'll try another shot (I spotted the right corner on further inspection. I'm gonna leave out hyperadrenia and stone needle too (easy enough to spot in any case).

Yea I also thought of posting the placemarks rather than the image - it's more useful and then I/we can include more stuff further down stream and the cedarberg kloof stuff and tweedledee & tweedledum ect. Riki said they are working on a way to get it up (remember those wellington's dome place marks), but they went off climbing. So I guess we chill for now - heck I'd also rather go climb than mucking around here (only 2 more days now :) ) If you can't wait just ask and I'll email what I've got to you.

Oh, I also think I got that gully at the chocolate factory in the wrong place, either that or help-help is further down stream, mmm yes it must be further down...