Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Legoland vehicle access
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:52 am 

If the gate into Legoland is usually open then climbers will drive in and belay from their bumpers and play loud Kenny Rogers music. The resultant cluster f*ck will make us climbers look like a bunch of morons. So may I suggest that somebody puts up a sign that informs climbers about the access limitations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:38 am 

I second Andy’s thoughts.

I had a similar question raised this weekend by climbers unfamiliar to the established norms: “can’t we drive in, there is a road after all”

It should also be emphasised that the owner using the road has right of way: Keep your ropes, pack, piles of shoes and gear out of his way.

We have already lost access to a Montague crag. So lets not jeopardise any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:14 pm 

Why are there so many lazy people out there???

If you want to belay from the parking lot you should just stay in the gym.
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:53 pm 

I would then also like to add another statement: PLEASE DON'T PLAY YOUR MUSIC AT CAMPSITES!!! It's really sad to see climbers who are turning into common hooligans! Let's respect nature and our fellow human beings!

Please. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:57 pm 

Worse than loud music is wearing harnesses & loud hexes in public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm 

Got to agree with Polkadot. Went Rocklands end of last year. As always the climbing was out of this world. The camping was a different ball game. I had to put up with music (anything from Bless Bridges to Heavy metal) blaring from at least 4 camp sites not to mention the drumming circle that started up round 11 pm. Lets respect one another and enjoy the tranquility and unspoilt beauty of the mountains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:25 pm 

Which campsites are we talking about here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:56 pm 

montagu for one...

and oudtshoorn, but i guess its not climbers who bring their subwoofin' bassdrum sets in their broken, 'blinged-up' rides, causing small little earthquake induced fractures in my scull...

and whats up with the drumming at the crags themselves nowadays?

its a bit like ruining a opera classic masterpiece (nature, and her sounds), with some ghetto kwaito dancing (the drums)...

is it usually the type of person who is blissfully is unaware of other peoples feelings?, or do they just forget to maybe ask the other climbers if they may play some music and at least then keep it at a acceptable volume...

or couldn't they care less about the people around them?

can't be the last one, 'cause in my opinion, 9 out of 10 climbers usually are the type of person from who you can expect a higher level of decency and intelligence...

or is it just me...
:wink:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:21 pm 

We want more climbers in SA, so more sport lines are bolted, gyms are opened, guides printed, gear sold & every effort is made to accomodate more climbers. Then we see the results of our efforts...more climbers. Thats what we wanted.

Then we moan when some of them don't meet our behaviour std. Development & accessability will lead to growth & will attract a larger range of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:57 pm 

Yet we should not lose our respect for nature and our fellow climbers. Climbing is attached to nature and most climbers start climbing to enjoy their love for the outdoors even more! If we compromise our respect, our morals and values, we will ultimately compromise everything in life!

This is just a plea to those out there to consider other climbers. If this is what climbing is going to end up being (a bunch of drunkards blasting their common music from their cars at campsites), then it will just be like any other sport with obnoxious and inconsiderate people, and then we've lost the little value left over! Please, let's keep the essence of rock climbing alive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:12 am 

Polka u sound like a prejudiced elitist! Nothing wrong with some kif tunes to end the day. Oh and ur avatar is gay!

That said there is no vehicular access to Legoland, its private property - period!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:18 pm 

\"This is just a plea to those out there to consider other climbers. If this is what climbing is going to end up being (a bunch of drunkards blasting their common music from their cars at campsites), then it will just be like any other sport with obnoxious and inconsiderate people, and then we've lost the little value left over! Please, let's keep the essence of rock climbing alive!\"

What is the essence of rock climbing? Whos values do we have to stick to? yours? What music is not considered common? Everything other than power metal is common IMO. Climbers are people from all walks of life whos only common link is climbing. There are all sorts of people who climb these days. Its broader than your small group. Look beyond yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:39 pm 

Personally, i dont like going away for a climbing trip and settling in at a nice quiet campsite to have it destroyed by the noise of some ones sub woofer at full volume. :x
I have a woofer in my car and i enjoy in the city 8) ... when i am in the \"wild\"or far away places miles from a city i like to enjoy the sounds of nature.
The only climbers noise any one should hear are the sounds of some one cranking up routes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:49 pm 

what bubbles said...
and polkadot ...

when in rome...

when in da club...

its just logical...

and its also called 'common decency', xmod, not 'elitist' really, imo...

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 pm 

So now its 'common decency' to judge others as common drunken illegitamites?? Nothing decent about that mate. It takes all types to make up the world, if you cant tolerate other people then take up trad and go and tinker away at some forgotten choss heap where you wont be disturbed by the great unwashed masses.

Now a good solid power chord or ten pumped out at the same volume, particularly whilst looking out over a grand wild landscape (and hopefully without a whiner in sight to spoil the moment), thats decent, sheer poetry in fact, stirs the cockles of me heart it does.

Did I mention you cant drive into Legoland? Got it?- good! See u at the pub, I mean club, no crag. Wher we? Yeh theh. Later haters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:45 pm 

PS If you climb at Legoland you've never been in the wild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 pm 

sheesh mod, stop chanting the 'no access at legoland' thing, you're beginning to sound like drifter...

ok, 'illegitemates' is a bit much,don't think so badly of yourself... but ya havta read between the lines here, mate... its what was 'meant' that counts... (peace in nature, man, dude...)

does your comment mean that when people come and park next to you on a sunday (or any other day), at your favourite picknic place and cranks up the volume on some hip hop foreplay song,(oh ja, did i mention that their speakers are halfway broken, all you hear is the vibrations)(feels and sounds like an earthquake...usually), you won't mind... you'll dance along?

now imagine me or any other peace lovin' \"elitist\" walks up to them (or you, for that matter), and asks them to turn it down... even politely, like i usually do, wonder what they'll/you'll do...? :evil:

now imagine this happening in the town where you live...your neighbour maybe... ( :lol: isn't it already happening there, and thats why we go outdoors, to nature...)

who'll be the hater then...? :twisted:

later...

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:14 pm 

Brolocks...git out da parkin lot mon. Join the Mountain Club.

Legoland is on a road, its a parking lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:43 pm 

Just forum banter brollocks! Keep ur hear on! You'll grow horns otherwise!
I too love listening to the twittering of little birds and streams gurgling and... metal. Hip hop 'I wish I could get laid' music on the other hand totally sux! Just go kick the guys speakers in next time, I think they'll get the message that way! :wink: