It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:00 pm 

I was in Silvermine today with a group of Hoerikwaggo Trainee guides, when I got a phone call from my employer to say to be careful as a mugging had taken place there today. When approaching the end of out hike, which was along the ridge where the climbing areas were, it seemed as if there was something unusual going on, in that the parking area below us was empty, on a beautiful day, and there were several rangers with dogs patrolling the area. Upon reaching the tented camp, which was our destination, we heard from the guy working there that someone had been stabbed, but that the muggers had been caught on Ou Kaapse Weg. Anyone know anything more as I listened to the news on my car radio on the way home, but nothing was reported.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:48 pm 

Cape Talk just had a piece on the muggings:

4 tourists walking near the dam on the boardwalk with a guide were approached by 2 muggers.
1 tourist was stabbed and the suspects (thieves, are still at large!?
TMNP are investigating

In my mind this was the last sanctuary where one was safe.
IMO - walk with the safety off!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:34 pm 

Ja, heard it on Cape Talk News about 5.30pm. Pity the bastards are still at large and not caught as they will probably do it again. Thought it would only be a matter of time before this crap started up again. I got an email a couple of weeks ago from someone in Brazil, asking if it was safe to come for a weeks holiday in Cape Town because of all the Xenophobic violence! I obviously explained to him that he would be O.K. in the waterfront etc. However, every incident that affects tourists puts who knows how many many prospective visitors off coming here. Bet the tourist who got stabbed today, his mates, family and probably the rest of the town he lives in, won't be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:56 am 

A mugging has happened there before near the reservoir. On a late Sunday afternoon there, when there weren't many people around a man was having a picnic with his wife and two guys ran up to them with knives and took his camera. We saw suspicious people hanging around near the abseil points by Lower Silvermine about a couple of years ago and I emailed the Table Mountain National Park telling them about this and advising them to put patrols there. I never got any e-mail back from them to acknowledge that they received my e-mail that some suspicious people were hiding behind rocks near the abseil points watching climbers walking from the mountain bike parking lot to the Lower Silvermine and back.

Another time I came back from Blaze of Glory with my climbing partner and we standing in the parking lot by the reservoir when this man came up to us and told us his car has been broken into, that he went for a swim by himself in the reservoir and left his keys on the side in some bush. They had watched him, taken his keys while he was swimming and broken into his car. He wanted me to give the car guard who said he didn't see anything suspicious a lift to the gate to go and get the warden there as he didn't want to leave car by itself in case the people came back and took his car.

About 4 months ago I heard that someone had drowned at the Reservoir, don't know what happened. There is no lifeguard on duty there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:16 am 

Alex B-S wrote:
Bet the tourist who got stabbed today, his mates, family and probably the rest of the town he lives in, won't be.

...the intertubes are more powerful than any word of mouth man. The thing is, even when it turns into a common occurrence many many people still come believing it won't happen to them. When that mentality shifts, tourism round here will be in deep shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 pm 

I read in the Cape Times today that a woman and her friend from England was mugged yesterday afternoon at just after 5pm as they were walking down Lions Head.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 pm 

Here is an updated report about the Silvermine attack on Independent Online

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:01 am 

As a tourist climber about to arrive in your fine country tomorrow (Cape Town) for 4 weeks this is alarming but not unexpected news! Can anyone give me any advice on specific crags that are dangerous in South Africa and how to limit the problems? We have a hire car and it's just me and my girlfriend. We come from Australia so are a little ignorant about the exact situation in SA at the moment! We have a bunch of fairly expensive stuff, including cameras and laptops which I guess I will need to take to the crag with me each day?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:30 am 

Taking it to the crag is about the worst thing you can do, in my opinion. Leave it locked up at your hotel reception / wherever you stay (away from the cleaning staff at least) or in your car's boot, out of sight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:48 am 

Most of the muggings have occurred on the 'cable car' side of Table Mountain and Kirstenbosch. I reckon taking the cable car up would almost ensure you not being mugged - The local authorities, Parks board and volunteer groups do patrol the mountain (this obviously cannot be completely relied on).

With regards to things like valuables in your car: Try not to leave anything in the car... in sight for passers by and if you park somewhere isolated, especially do not leave anything in the car!!
Silvermine is not a crime hotspot :roll: and there is a car guard at the carpark.
Best speak go into the office (on the left) when you go through the gate to get an update and a number to call should you have any problems while there.
Enjoy :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:58 am 

....perhaps I should have added " as a last resort " with regards to leaving it in your car, and only if out of sight, otherwise you might as well save yourself the cost of replacing the window & hand it over willingly.............

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 am 

Leaving it at the campground or hostel does sound like the best bet! Thanks for the advice - i'll keep an eye out for people hiding in the bushes... :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:14 pm 

Another incident. The following from the wires:

"Two knife-wielding muggers shoved a hiker down a rocky incline, demanded
"gold" from her four companions, threatened to throw rocks at them and
tried to stab their three dogs.
Wednesday's incident, which even Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) is
in "a state of shock about", happened at Blackhill on the boundary of
the Solole Private Game Reserve near Masiphumelele where the hikers say
they "always felt so safe".
The muggers stole a gold chain, rucksacks and three cellphones."

I'm skeptical about the "state of shock" of TMNP, especially after reading the press comments of their spokesperson.

I must urge people not to leave anything of value in their vehicles. It just encourages breakins.
The perps in the above incident appear to be the same as in the Silvermine incident, viz, one tall black guy and one short black guy. Weapons of choice are knives.

I hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time before these scum discover the crags.