Quantcast
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: climbing shoes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:23 pm 
Where is the best place in SA to get rock climbing shoes. Is buying them over the net a good idea or do you really need to try them on first.
A helpless beginner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:30 am 
It's REALLY important to try the first pair of shoes you buy on first as each foot is individual and certain makes/syles of climbing shoe are better suited to certain foot shapes. So, get an experienced climber to go with you and help you choose or go to a climbing shop and ask the assistant. Once you know your size and make, internet is a good option, as you can generally get beter deals than in a store.
If you are in the Cape Town area, Andy Davies shop, Mountain Mail Order, is really good and well priced. See www.mountainmailorder.co.za.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:59 am 

I agree, it is REALLY important to try the shoe before you buy the shoe. Different makes of shoes have different shapes, therefore you might find that the shoe you want might not fit. If i can give you some good advise, i'm not sure whether you are on budget or not, but either way, buy a shoe that FITS! it doesn't matter if they are cheap. I climb with a pair of Bufo Spiders, it's a bottom of the range, cheap shoe, but, it climbs MUCH better than any other shoe I have ever tried... because it fits! If you need some pointers on what to look for, give me a shout.