Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 pm 

What: Guys attempt to redpoint unrepeated 1995 test piece ‘Satans Temple’, (30 ish). Girls redpoint the technical classic ‘You Too Brutus’ (26). These climbs are strictly off-limits until the 27th!

Where: The ACRA Wall at Boven! All the Roc Rallyers and general public will gather to watch from atop the Junkyard viewing area to the sound of music and commentary. There’ll be plenty of braai and drinks to enjoy.

When: Saturday the 27th, the last day of the Roc Rally. Showdown competitors will work the routes in the morning then Redpoint attempts will start 14.00 and finish 18.00 then its party time at Tranquilitas!!

Why: These are some of the most spectacular routes in SA and there will be BIG cash prizes with a bonus for whoever repeats the Temple. Loads of prize money has already been stashed. The energy and excitement will rival the 2007 Roc & Road Final!

Who: Anyone who is keen can enter - entrants will be whittled down to those who are most psyched and strong. Email climb@rocrope.com before August 20th if you fancy your chances. Final list will be posted by the 25th August.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:29 pm 

Should be awesome! :afro:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:17 pm 

Ow much?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm 

cant say yet as the pile is still accumulating...
How much do you think a repeat of Satans with a limited time (about an hour) to practice deserves?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 pm 

A pat on the back and a "great job mate!"...

Not sure why, but I've always found the idea of prizes for climbing events kind of strange...

What about donating the prizes/money to a school in the Mngwenya township (the one you walk through to get to the crag)

Alternatively, make the prize bolting supplies or a drill, to encourage route development...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:06 pm 

Well I have never won anything in my life (and it might stay that way), and I don't want to take anything away from the kids, but I am still all for great prizes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:12 pm 

OK ladies and gentlemen. The challenge is on. So far for Satans Temple, we have Herman Lombard, Paul Bruyere, Scott Sinclair, Ben Harper, Steve Bretherick, maybe Simon Lowe..so its going to be a strong pack. Still room for 1-2 more - Matt? Benjie?. Word of advise for the guys, Satans Temple is very very crimpy! The girls are still a bit thin on the ground - so far only Nadine Methner and Naureen Goheer have confirmed. Come on girls! I think the girls have more chance of sending their route so give it a go. The emphasis will be on chilling out and having fun, while the rest of the roc rallyers go mental running around at least until the 'sending session'. Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 am 

Please note that the elite also need to register!

If you are not taking part in a team event, just ignore the climber B column.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:21 am 

Finally, the girls are coming forward! so far its Nadine Methner, Naureen Goheer, Tessa Little, Faye Brouard, Illona Pelsner (probably). It seems like the durban girls will be in force! There are 1-2 spots left for guys and girls so if you are keen, try confirm this week. I think its going to be as good as the 2007 R&R final.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:21 pm 

Just to clarify what is happening on the Saturday of the Roc Rally:

Everybody will be doing their redpoint day as usual. Score sheets will be handed in down at the viewpoint as shown on the picture. Here the ACRA Showdown will start and hopefully we will see the second ascent of this legendary route.

Attachment:
waterfall_from_top_tunnel.jpg
waterfall_from_top_tunnel.jpg [ 97.4 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

Limited transport will be provided, the access route to the viewpoint will be well marked from town and secure parking will be arranged. Also fires will be roaring with the famous local Chicken Dust and a cash bar of course...

Bring your binoculars!

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:39 pm 

And this is an unidentified climber trying the route in question, Satans Temple, the route gets hard just above where Gustaz is posing. The girls route is in a similar style but about 7a+. We should see some sends! If you are spectating, binos will really help you see those microscopic holds!

Attachments:
satans temple.jpg
satans temple.jpg [ 58.18 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:23 pm 

and of course a slack line across the gorge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 pm 

That was never in the initial planning, Andrew?

But ok, we can rig one up if you think it is a good idea. What should the max span be realistically?

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 pm 

I was thinking that we could put it from the top of the climbs right accross to the viewing area so that if the climber suceeds he can walk across to get braaied chicken quickly. can bring slings if yours isnt long enough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:07 pm 

Firstly, please let me say that I think this showdown is a great idea and I give full credit to Andy and Gustav and anyone else involved in organising.
I must say though that I am somewhat underwhelmed by the idea of a ladies showdown on You Too Brutus.
I will be very impressed by any male (or female) ascents of Satan's Temple but will be very unimpressed if You Too Brutus doesn't get a descent spanking from the ladies!
Anyway, sorry for that bit of negativity but I do think we can aim higher sometimes. Unlimited Power would be more of an achievement for the ladies in my opinion but I guess that ledge would get pretty crowded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:14 pm 

fair comment flexster, I had the same thougt myself. I think at least 2-3 of the girls will easily send U2Brutus, but probably none of them will get past that horrid reach low down on Unlimited so the former will make for better viewing. Will use Unlimited as a super final if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:32 pm 

Makes sense to me, Andy.