Quantcast
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

What kind of Dogbone do you prefer?
Regular Sling 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Dyneema Sling 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:28 pm 

When it comes to complete quickdraws, some have reguilar express slings, and some have dyneema. The Dyneema slings tend to twist and swing a lot but are slightly lighter. Is the weight saving a real benefit, or is the control that a regular express sling offers a better option?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:08 am 

I don't think there is that much weight saving to be had with dyneema and I definitely take preference to a bigger/fatter draw.

Pro's are: Stays in position better and doesn't twist, it doesn't push away as much when you're clipping (cause they're slightly heavier), when pulling up on the draw I can get a really good handle on the wide material.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 am 

I agree with Justin. Nothing worse than making a desperate clip and the draw is swaying like a pendulum in the wind or you cant steady the beener. The flat wider draw is a big plus when working routes and dogging, especially when you need to dead point high to catch the draw and pull through without trashing your fingers.

While we are on the subject of draws, which are the best priced flat draw type combos ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:32 am 

Hey Justin

Just remember that in the world of HiTec gear, bigger and fatter is not necessarily stronger. While the low weight of Dyneema does cause problems in the wind, it is just as strong or stronger than the fat nylon slings, and actually places less stress on your biners (i.e., a very fat nylon sling can actually weaken your biners, although it's doubtful that it will weaken them enough to break in all but the most extreme circumstances). That's why Petzl have those funny slings with the narrowing on the end.