Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Broblerz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:44 am 

Hi I see there is a bouldering spot between Bronkies and Grobblersdal?

How do I get there? How far from Bronkies? Access? What is the quality?

thanks

I stay in Bronkies. Are there other boulder spots nearby I am not aware of...

Post subject: Re: Broblerz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:14 pm 

Groblersdal, I believe. Does anyone know where to find a topo?

andrewp will be able to give you directions?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:25 pm 

As far as I'm aware, the access to the Groblerz boulders was lost when the farm was sold (a couple years back). I can't remember the directions there anymore :drunken: I only went there once.

The bouldering was sharp but okay. As far as I'm aware Sean Cremen and James Roberts did most of the development. I 'think' James had a guide for the area.

However access would obviously have to be arranged before, perhaps you could put in some leg work since you live in the area?

I'll try to have a look to see if I can find the area on Google. Maybe Andrew can help you out, but I'm not sure...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:26 pm 

Okay I had a look on Google and I 'think' I found the area.

So, head through Bronkhorstspruit and get onto the R25 heading North towards Groblersdal. Follow the R25 for about 34kms. You should see the boulders on your RHS on a hill. There is a gate on the Southern side of the hill that you enter through. Head along the gravel road for about 700m and turn left through a cattle gate and then straight till you can park.

Like I say, this is where I think the boulders are, I just checked out where I thought they were on Google. There are boulders there, that I can see.

Check it out for yourself 25°33'3.18"S 28°57'19.25"E

Let us know if you sort out access.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 pm 

Those directions sound about right. Despite its roughness, I really liked Grob's. Good technical bouldering, hence my Grob's ticklist is woefully inadequate. James found the area on some drunken diversion and Cremen put up most of the harder problems. There are some absolutely brilliant classics including The Illusion 7A+ (near impossible Cremen trickery), Focus 7A (lovely balancey arete), Fired Up 7A and Significance 7A (superb overhanging prow and one of the best problems I've ever done). I don't think there is a topo. The access was secured through a tenant who later moved on. Rather unhelpfully we lost contact with the tenant. If you manage to renegotiate access, I'll give you a tour in December if you want.